LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:28 pm
As a reminder, this is part of the first of 3 sets:
H1 - The Hobbit (300 cards, 110C 100U 90R)
H2 - The Battle of the Five Armies (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)
H3 - The White Council (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)

And it’s more or less complete, I just need the approval of the talented DCers of the cobracards forum!

Here is a (very brief) summary of the block mechanics featured in the first set:

Terror X (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, they may make that opponent exert X of their characters.)

Winged (This character can only take 1 wound per phase, regardless of its source.)

Locked - (A card that is Locked has blank game text, unless it is Unlocked. An ability or keyword that is Locked is nonexistent unless it is Unlocked.)

Unlocked - (A card can only be Unlocked if a card allows it to be. A card with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.)

A seriously detailed description of the last two can be found at this link: http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4434 (below the Dwarven cards)

Here’s the culture break down, and clicking on finished cultures will take you to their card lists.

Ring - 2
Dwarven - 58
Elven - 27
Gandalf - 38
Gollum - 21
Orc - 68
Sauron - 28
Shire - 36
White - 22

1 Beating Wings Gandalf
Event • Maneuver
Discard an Eagle to wound an unwinged minion.
Back swept the great birds that were with him and... smote them to the floor.
H1 U 88

4 • Beorn, Agreeable Host Gandalf
Companion • Man
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 8
Damage +1. Defender +1.
Fellowship: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn to remove 1 (or exert him twice at a dwelling to remove 3).
’... and you must be careful not to annoy him, or heaven knows what will happen.’
H1 C 89

4 • Beorn, Skin-Changer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Res: 8
Skirmish: If you cannot spot 4 companions, exert Beorn make him strength +5 (limit +10) and damage +1. Until the end of the regroup phase, he is not a Man.
’... sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’
H1 R 90

0 Beorn’s Animals Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Beorn and exert a companion.
Response: If a minion is played, discard this condition to make a Shadow player discard a Shadow event from their hand.
Some horses, very sleek and well groomed, trotted up across the grass and looked at them intently with very intelligent faces; then off they galloped to the buildings.
H1 C 91

2 • Beorn’s Axe Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +3
Bearer must be Beorn.
Beorn is terror 1 for each wound on him.
He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe.
H1 R 92

2 Courage Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Play a Gandalf Wizard from your discard pile to discard each Shadow condition.
’Follow me quick,’ said a voice fierce and quiet...
H1 R 93

3 Eagle Guard Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Str: 5
Res: 6
Winged.
While you can spot Gwaihir or a Gandalf Wizard, this companion’s twilight cost is -1.
Archery: Exert this companion X times to make the minion archery total -X.
He swept up into the air, and immediately two of his guards from the rocks at either hand leapt up...
H1 R 94

3 Eagle Rescuer Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Str: 6
Vit: 3
Winged.
While you can spot Gwaihir or a Gandalf Wizard, this companion’s twilight cost is -1.
You may play this companion any time you could play a skirmish event.
When this companion is played, you may wound a minion.
Other birds flew to the tree-tops and seized the dwarves...
H1 U 95

2 Eagle Scout Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Winged.
Each time a spell is played, you may discard this companion or play this companion from your discard pile.
... he summoned many other eagles to him...
H1 C 96

2 Eagle Warrior Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Winged.
While you can spot 3 Gandalf companions in your discard pile, this companion is strength +3.
Eagles are not kindly birds.
H1 C 97

2 Eagle Watchman Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Str: 6
Winged.
Each Gandalf Wizard’s twilight cost is -1.
But eagles have keen eyes and can see small things at a great distance.
H1 C 98

1 Fierce Enemy Gandalf
Event • Response
If Beorn wins a skirmish, wound a minion (twice if that minion is fierce).
The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers.
H1 R 99

0 Fierce Hatred Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Make Beorn strength +3. He gains Terror 1 until the regroup phase.
He came alone, and in bear’s shape; and he seemed to have grown almost to giant-size in his wrath.
H1 C 100

4 • Gandalf, Excellent Guide Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Str: 8
Res: 7
When Gandalf is played, you may choose one: replace one of your sites on the site path with one from your adventure deck; or play the fellowship’s next site.
... it was a very slow business, even guided by Gandalf, who seemed to know his way about pretty well.
H1 R 101

4 • Gandalf, Friendly Stranger Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
You may play Gandalf any time you could play a maneuver event.
Maneuver: Discard 2 cards from hand to discard Gandalf.
’What do you mean?’ he said. ’Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?’
H1 C 102

2 • Gandalf’s Staff, Focus of Light Gandalf
Artifact • Staff
Vit: +1
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Each time Gandalf is discarded, this artifact becomes a strength 6 vitality 3 resistance 4 wizard companion that cannot bear other cards until the end of the regroup phase. If this card is killed, place it in the discard pile.
Regroup: Spot Gandalf to make this card lose all tokens on it, and it is now borne by Gandalf.
H1 R 103

2 • Glamdring, Blade of Gondolin Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +2
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He is damage +1
Regroup: Play this possession from your hand or discard pile.
The goblins just called it ’Beater’ and hated it even more than Biter...
H1 R 104

0 Great Birds Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Play an Eagle from your discard pile.
But the ancient race of the Northern mountains were the greatest of all birds...
H1 C 105

5 • Gwaihir, King of All Birds Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Winged.
Gwaihir’s twilight cost is -1 for each Eagle and Gandalf Wizard you can spot.
Regroup: Exert Gwaihir to play an Eagle from your discard pile.
... the Lord of the Eagles became in after days the King of All Birds and wore a golden crown...
H1 C 106

5 • Gwaihir, Lord of the Eagles Gandalf
Companion • Eagle
Winged.
To play, spot 3 Gandalf companions.
Gwaihir’s twilight cost is -2 for each Gandalf Wizard you can spot.
You may play Gwahir any time you could play a regroup event.
When Gwaihir is played, you may discard a minion.
The Lord of the Eagles... had eyes that could... see a rabbit moving on the ground a mile below.
H1 R 107

1 Ingenious Wizard Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Wizard and add 1 to make each companion strength +1 until the regroup phase (limit +1).
’Good gracious me... Not the man that used to make such particularly excellent fireworks! I remember those!’
H1 U 108

2 Invisibility Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
If a Gandalf Wizard is not exhausted, discard him.
Where was Gandalf?
H1 U 109

2 Lightning Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Spot a Gandalf wizard to wound a minion assigned to an unbound companion (or wound it twice if it has less strength than that wizard).
... when the goblins came to grab him, there was a terrific flash like lightning in the cave, a smell of gunpowder, and several of them fell dead.
H1 U 110

0 Lofty Seats Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Make an Eagle strength +1 for each Gandalf companion in your discard pile.
... down they came like huge black shadows.
H1 C 111

2 • Lonely Pinnacle Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Each time an Eagle is played, you may exert it to take a Gandalf event into hand from your discard pile.
Fellowship: Discard an Eagle or play an Eagle from your discard pile. Discard this condition.
The goblins hated the eagles... but could not reach their lofty seats...
H1 U 112

0 Looking Ahead Gandalf
Event • Maneuver
Discard a Gandalf Wizard or Eagle.
’Where did you go, if I may ask?’
H1 C 113

2 Looking Behind Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Play a Gandalf Wizard (or add 1 and play an Eagle) from your discard pile to discard up to 2 minions.
It was the wizard’s voice that had kept the trolls bickering and quarrelling, until the light came and made an end of them.
H1 C 114

2 Loud Cry Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Make an Eagle strength +2 (or strength +4 and damage +1 if you can spot 3 Gandalf companions in your discard pile).
Loud cried the Lord of the Eagles...
H1 U 115

2 Nick of Time Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Choose one: play a Gandalf Wizard from your discard pile to heal each companion; or play an Eagle from your discard pile and add 1 to heal each Gandalf companion.
It was just then that Gandalf came back.
H1 U 116

1 Noble-Hearted Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Make a Gandalf companion strength +2 (or strength +3 if that companion is an Eagle).
They did not love goblins, or fear them...
H1 C 117

0 Organised Adventure Gandalf
Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf to play a Gandalf companion (or a Dwarven companion and add 1) from your draw deck or discard pile.
’I’m looking for someone to share in an adventure I’m arranging...’
H1 R 118

1 Pressing Business Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
If a Gandalf Wizard or Eagle is not assigned to a skirmish, discard them.
’It is no use arguing, I am already late through bothering with you people.’
H1 C 119

4 • Radagast, Good Cousin Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Toil 2.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may spot 3 Gandalf companions to take a Gandalf event into hand from your discard pile. Then choose a Shadow player that may draw a card.
’... not a bad fellow as wizards go.’
H1 R 120

2 Very Great Person Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Each time Beorn wins a skirmish and you cannot spot 4 companions, add a Gandalf token here.
Fellowship or Regroup: Remove a token from this condition to remove 2.
Fellowship: Remove 2 tokens from this condition to heal a companion.
’... he is under no enchantment but his own.’
H1 U 121

0 What is Finer Than Flying? Gandalf
Event • Maneuver
Discard an Eagle to remove 2.
’May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.’
H1 C 122

1 • Wind Under Wing Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 3 Gandalf companions.
Response: If an Eagle is about to be killed, remove this condition and a Gandalf card in your discard pile from the game to discard that Eagle instead.
’Farewell!’ they cried, ’wherever you fare, till your eyries receive you at the journey’s end!’
H1 R 123

1 Wizard’s Power Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Spell.
Play a Gandalf Wizard from your discard pile to make, until the end of the turn, each minion skirmishing a companion strength -2.
Just at that moment all the lights in the cavern went out, and the great fire went off poof! into a tower of blue glowing smoke...
H1 U 124

1 Wizard’s Trappings Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Response: If a Gandalf Wizard is about to be discarded, stack a card borne by that Wizard here.
Regroup: Add 1 to play a card stacked here on a Gandalf Wizard.
He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which his long white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots.
H1 U 125

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 22 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:12 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Wizard
You may play this companion any time you could play a maneuver event.
’What do you mean?’ he said. ’Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?’
H1 C 102

"Gandalf" instead of "this companion". I’m sure you have some really good strategy for playing Gandalf from the discard pile, and getting some benefit when you discard him, but I still think this needs more. Perhaps give him 8 resistance, or reduce his cost by 1 when you can spot a Hobbit, or allow playing him directly from the discard pile for some added cost. Something.

Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Wizard
Strength 7
Vitality 4
Resistance 7
When this companion is played, you may choose one: replace one of your sites on the site path with one from your adventure deck; or play the fellowship’s next site.
... it was a very slow business, even guided by Gandalf, who seemed to know his way about pretty well.
H1 R 101

Again, "Gandalf" instead of "this companion". And again, he could use a little more of something.

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf to play a Gandalf companion (or Dwarven companion if you add 1) from your draw deck or discard pile.
H1 R 118

"Organized", not "organised". Interesting card, though this will not, of course, work with Friendly Stranger.

Thranduil wrote:
2 Ingenious Wizard Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Wizard and add 2 to make each Gandalf and Dwarven companion strength +1 until the regroup phase (limit +1).
’Good gracious me... Not the man that used to make such particularly excellent fireworks! I remember those!’
H1 U 108

It’s like Confronting the Eye, only a tad worse since it’s limited to two cultures and costs 2. I’d lower the cost to 1.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:40 am
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Wizard
You may play this companion any time you could play a maneuver event.
H1 C 102

Niiiice, this opens up some cool possibilities.

Companion • Wizard
Strength 7
Vitality 4
Resistance 7
When this companion is played, you may choose one: replace one of your sites on the site path with one from your adventure deck; or play the fellowship’s next site.
H1 R 101

Its gonna need more than that to make him worth using.

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf to play a Gandalf companion (or Dwarven companion if you add 1) from your draw deck or discard pile.
H1 R 118

Very cool but phrase it "(or a Dwarven companion and add 1)"

2 Ingenious Wizard Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Wizard and add 2 to make each Gandalf and Dwarven companion strength +1 until the regroup phase (limit +1).
H1 U 108

Confronting the eye for wizards. Nice. But make it add 1 or cost 0.

DáinIronfoot wrote:

"Organized", not "organised". Interesting card, though this will not, of course, work with Friendly Stranger.

Organised is a perfectly legitimate way of spelling it. In the UK lots of words you spell with a z we use an s like realized/realised. Neither are wrong. Unless you use MS word which is just biased cos its American!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:25 am
lem0nhead wrote:
Organised is a perfectly legitimate way of spelling it. In the UK lots of words you spell with a z we use an s like realized/realised. Neither are wrong. Unless you use MS word which is just biased cos its American!

More than that, it’s how Tolkien spells it in The Hobbit!

And the Gandalf’s read ’this companion’ to make sure you can’t use any of their abilities with other copies of Gandalf. If I don’t need it, I’ll change it.

I’ll change the cards in a second, but now I’ll address some of your points by putting up some fun events (there’s more, but I’ll leave it with the Eagles):

2 Invisibility Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Where was Gandalf?
H1 U 109

1 Wizard’s Power Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Spell.
Play a Gandalf Wizard from your discard pile to make, until the end of the turn, each minion skirmishing a companion strength -2.
Just at that moment all the lights in the cavern went out, and the great fire went off poof! into a tower of blue glowing smoke...
H1 U 124

2 Courage Gandalf
Event • Regroup
H1 R 93

And a support companion:

Companion • Wizard
Toil 2.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may spot 3 Gandalf companions to take a Gandalf event into hand from your discard pile. Then choose a Shadow player that may draw a card.
H1 R 120

Now what do we think about the Gandalfs?

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:43 am
Thranduil wrote:
lem0nhead wrote:

More than that, it’s how Tolkien spells it in The Hobbit!

Yeah! Go good old english Tolkien! Where you from Thranduil?

2 Invisibility Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Where was Gandalf?
H1 U 109

Cool enough.
1 Wizard’s Power Gandalf
Event • Regroup
Spell.
H1 U 124

Sweet although i think it needs tweaking a bit. Maybe and exert that wizard or make it cost more.

2 Courage Gandalf
Event • Regroup
H1 R 93

Way undercosted. Selective discard of ALL shadow conditions. Needs to cost about 6.

Companion • Wizard
Toil 2.
Radagast is not a non-flyer.
H1 R 120

Maybe change it to moves in the regroup phase.

Now what do we think about the Gandalfs?

I thought they were ok as it was but still needed a bit more, as when theyre out they dont do much.
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:24 am
lem0nhead wrote:
Yeah! Go good old english Tolkien! Where you from Thranduil?

Somewhere far away... London, actually.

lem0nhead wrote:
Sweet although i think it needs tweaking a bit. Maybe and exert that wizard or make it cost more.
Way undercosted. Selective discard of ALL shadow conditions. Needs to cost about 6.

Deep in thought is 4 (and this is effectively 6, 2 for the card + 4 for the wizard) - both of them require you to pay for the wizard as well. I’m unconvinced, if other people agree, then I’ll change it.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:28 am
Well ok maybe not 6 but you would pay for the wizard anyway. If you didnt it would be beyond broke but playing gandalf with gametext when you play him or just playing a copy of gandalf AND discarding every shadow condition is way too OP for 2.

Btw im from Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire.
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:15 am
On the Gandalfs - Unless you plan to have a way to get multiple Gandalfs out at a time, the abilities will be restricted to allowing only themselves.

Ingenious Wizard... could be better than Confronting the Eye, but only with Dwarven or Gandalf Ring-bearer (or if you use Ring-bound Dwarven/Gandalf.) So for an exertion and 2, I would consider making the cost 0 (or only adding 1, rather than 2 for the ability) as lem0nhead suggested.

Wizard’s Power - I see what you’re trying to do... I’m not sure if this works right, but the only wording I can think of that would work is "Each companion gains "Each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -2" until the end of the turn." Even that’s not exact, so I’ll think on it...
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:17 pm
BattleWarg wrote:
On the Gandalfs - Unless you plan to have a way to get multiple Gandalfs out at a time, the abilities will be restricted to allowing only themselves.

Ingenious Wizard... could be better than Confronting the Eye, but only with Dwarven or Gandalf Ring-bearer (or if you use Ring-bound Dwarven/Gandalf.) So for an exertion and 2, I would consider making the cost 0 (or only adding 1, rather than 2 for the ability) as lem0nhead suggested.

Wizard’s Power - I see what you’re trying to do... I’m not sure if this works right, but the only wording I can think of that would work is "Each companion gains "Each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -2" until the end of the turn." Even that’s not exact, so I’ll think on it...

Thanks BW. I’ve changed ingenious wizard according to your suggestion and modified the Gandalfs, but about Wizard’s power, I’m pretty sure I’ve overcome the snapshot rule. If I haven’t, someone can point it out to me.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:21 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Personally, I still think both Gandalfs are a little weak. I know you’re loathe to put more than one ability on most companions, which I can certainly respect, but in this case I think you need to break with the norm.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards