LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:32 am
As a reminder, this is part of the first of 3 sets:
H1 - The Hobbit (300 cards, 110C 100U 90R)
H2 - The Battle of the Five Armies (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)
H3 - The White Council (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)

And it’s more or less complete, I just need the approval of the talented DCers of the cobracards forum!

Here is a (very brief) summary of the block mechanics featured in the first set:

Terror X (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, they may make that opponent exert X of their characters.)

Winged (This character can only take 1 wound per phase, regardless of its source.)

Locked - (A card that is Locked has blank game text, unless it is Unlocked. An ability or keyword that is Locked is nonexistent unless it is Unlocked.)

Unlocked - (A card can only be Unlocked if a card allows it to be. A card with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.)

A seriously detailed description of the last two can be found at this link: http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4434 (below the Dwarven cards)

Here’s the culture break down, and clicking on finished cultures will take you to their card lists.

Ring - 2
Dwarven - 58
Elven - 27
Gandalf - 38
Gollum - 21
Orc - 68
Sauron - 28
Shire - 36
White - 22

By the way, Riddle is Unloaded and all these Gollum cards are Shadow only.

1 All Things Devours Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, exert Gollum.
Choose an opponent who must name a number. Then, reveal your hand. If that number matches the number of characters revealed, discard Gollum and another minion. If it does not, you may play a minion revealed for -4 twilight.
’Slays king, ruins town, / And beats high mountain down.’
H1 R 126

0 Black Shadow Gollum
Event • Shadow
Play Gollum from your draw deck or discard pile to take a into hand a Gollum maneuver event from your discard pile.
No one would see him, no one would notice him, till he had his fingers on their throat.
H1 R 127

1 Deadly Cold Gollum
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot Gollum to add a Gollum token here for each underground site you can spot.
Maneuver: Remove X tokens from here to reveal the top X cards of a player’s draw deck.
Suddenly without any warning he trotted splash into water! Ugh! it was icy cold.
H1 C 128

1 Empty Holes Filled Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of Free Peoples cards revealed, you may exert a companion. If it does not, the Free Peoples player may heal a companion.
’It comes first and follows after, / Ends life, kills laughter.’
H1 C 129

2 • Gollum, Small and Slimy Gollum
Minion
Str: 5
Vit: 4
Sit: 3
Each time a riddle is played, you may make Gollum strength +2 until the regroup phase.
Each time this card is revealed from your hand, you may make a player discard a card from their hand.
He was a Gollum - as dark as darkness, except for two big round pale eyes in his thin face.
H1 U 130

1 • It Slipped From Us Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gollum.
Each time a Shadow card is Locked (its game text is made blank) by a Free Peoples card, you may discard a Gollum card from play to add a burden.
Maneuver: Spot Gollum and discard this condition to discard a Free Peoples card borne by a Shadow card.
But who knows how Gollum came by that present, ages ago in the old days...
H1 R 131

0 Just One More Question Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Spot Gollum to take a Gollum riddle into hand from your discard pile. You may take the next maneuver action.
’If precious asks, and it doesn’t answer, we eats it, my precious.’
H1 C 132

0 Mouths of Winds Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, exert Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. They must reveal their hand. If that number matches the number of events revealed, you may add 4. If not, remove 2.
’Voiceless it cries, / Wingless flutters...’
H1 C 133

2 My Birthday Present Gollum
Condition
To play, spot Gollum.
Bearer must be The One Ring.
The One Ring is Locked (is considered to have blank game text) and Gollum cannot take wounds.
Discard this condition if Gollum loses a skirmish, or at the start of the regroup phase.
... and one very beautiful thing, very beautiful, very wonderful.
H1 R 134

1 Not A Riddle Gollum
Event • Response
If a riddle is played, spot Gollum to choose one: shuffle your draw deck; count the number of cards in your hand, place your hand beneath your draw deck and draw the same number of cards; or play a Gollum maneuver event from hand (suspending the current riddle until the event is resolved). This can change the effects of that riddle.
’It must give us three guessesses, my precious, three guessesses.’
H1 C 135

0 Pale Eyes Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Exert Gollum to reveal a player’s hand. You may take the next maneuver action.
He was watching Bilbo now from the distance with his pale eyes like telescopes.
H1 U 136

2 • Riddles in the Dark Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, reveal a Gollum maneuver event from your hand.
Each time a riddle is played, you may exert Gollum to add 2.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to heal Gollum up to 3 times.
’It likes riddles, praps it does, does it?’
H1 U 137

1 Roots of Mountains Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. They must reveal their hand. If that number matches the number of minions revealed, you may add 2 threats. If not, remove a threat.
’Up, up it goes, / And yet never grows?’
H1 U 138

1 • Rotting Boat Gollum
Possession • Support Area
Each time a riddle is played and you can spot fewer than 3 cards stacked on this condition, you may spot Gollum to stack that riddle here.
Maneuver: Exert Gollum to take your card stacked here into hand.
He had a little boat, and he rowed about quietly on the lake...
H1 R 139

1 Silent Mail Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of possessions revealed, you may draw 3 cards. If it does not, discard one of your possessions or conditions.
’Never thirsty, ever drinking, / All in mail never clinking.’
H1 U 140

3 • Subterranean Lake Gollum
Condition • Support Area
While at an underground site, each Gollum event’s twilight cost is -1.
While at a lake or river site, Gollum is fierce.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to reveal a player’s hand.
... for lake it was, wide and deep and deadly cold.
H1 R 141

1 Things To Help Us Gollum
Event • Shadow
Spot Gollum to choose one: play a Gollum condition or Gollum possession from your draw deck; or remove 1 and play a non-Gollum Shadow possession from your draw deck.
’But it must wait, yes, it must. We can’t go up the tunnels so hasty.’
H1 R 142

1 Three Guessesses Gollum
Event • Response
If a riddle is about to be resolved, spot Gollum to add or subtract 1 from a number named for that riddle.. This can change the effects of that riddle.
’Not fair! not fair!’ he hissed. ’It isn’t fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what its got in its nasty little pocketses.’
H1 C 143

0 Two Guesses At Once Gollum
Event • Response
If you must name a number as a result of a riddle’s game text, exert Gollum to name 2. If either named number is correct, the appropriate results trigger as usual.
He hissed and spluttered... and wriggled and squirmed; but still he did not dare to waste his last guess.
H1 U 144

1 Watching Silently Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Spot Gollum to look at the top 6 cards of a player’s draw deck. Replace them in the same order.
Bilbo could not see him, be he was wondering a lot about Bilbo, for he could see that he was no goblin at all.
H1 C 145

1 What Is He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. They must reveal their hand. If that number matches the number of Free Peoples cards revealed, you may add a burden. If not, wound a Gollum minion.
This is what he had come to find out, for he was not really very hungry at the moment...
H1 U 146

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:12 pm; edited 17 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:17 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Minion
Each time a riddle is played, you may make Gollum strength +2 until the regroup phase.
Each time this card is revealed from your hand, you may make a player discard a card from their hand.
He was a Gollum - as dark as darkness, except for two big round pale eyes in his thin face.
H1 U 130

Put a cap on that strength pumping, like +5 or +6.

Thranduil wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Each time a riddle is played, you may exert a Gollum minion to add 2.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to heal a Gollum minion up to 3 times.
’It likes riddles, praps it does. does it?’
H1 U 137

I think I’d make it spot a riddle to play it in the first place. Or do you not have riddle conditions? Can’t remember. If not, perhaps require revealing or discarding a riddle from hand.

Thranduil wrote:
Condition
To play, spot Gollum.
The One Ring is Locked (is considered to have blank game text) and Gollum cannot take wounds.
Discard this condition if Gollum loses a skirmish, or at the start of the regroup phase.
H1 R 134

I have no idea how balanced this would be, but I think it would only help the FP player, since the Ring would temporarily not add burdens. With a vitality-boosting Ring like The One Ring, The Ring of Doom or The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles, I think this would hurt you more than it would help.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:58 am
No, there are no riddle conditions.

I actually thought My Birthday Present could be too good!

It prevents the Ring-bearer from wearing the One Ring, meaning that all archery and all threats HAVE to go on the fellowship as wounds, without the back-up that the One Ring normally supplies. Also, if the Ring-bearer is forced to fight, they could be in serious danger of dying from wounds if they can’t take burdens to save them. Certainly in some situations it could be advantageous to the FP player, but I’m not sure this would be true in general.

You raise an interesting and very valid point - does anyone else have an opinion on it?

Thanks for the review, I’ll make some changes.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Foresight
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:16 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Minion
H1 U 130

The second sentence just seems out-of-place. Eye of Barad-dur at least made them pay for revealing it from hand dearly with 2 burdens, all this does is discard a card. I’d consider changing that. Unless all your riddles deal with revealing Gollum cards from the hand, even then I think that it’s still a weak ability. Maybe 2 cards from the top of their draw deck? It would be a great counter to Elven telepathy if you made it that! Might even combo nicely with a Dwarven discard freeps side. I’m not a big fan of the subtitle either, possibly change it to something along the lines of "Vile, Petite Creature".

Thranduil wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Discard this condition to heal a Gollum minion up to 3 times.
H1 U 137

I’d just have it heal Gollum 3 times. Shelob shouldn’t be able to be healed with this card, considering that Shelob isn’t the one telling the riddles. Wink

Thranduil wrote:
Condition
To play, spot Gollum.
H1 R 134

I’d have it say: "Remove this condition from the game if Gollum..." instead of discard. A card this powerful warrants some balance to it that smooths out the gameplay. Ensuring that this card can NEVER be played again in a game with recursion is the best way for this one. While having 4 in your deck is still possible, that’s 4 card slots right there, but at least you can’t include 1 in your deck and keep getting it back with Incited and keep replaying it over and over. The inability to put The One Ring on also makes it an NPE card with a Men archery side. I’d almost go with my suggestion, or change the gametext of this card to something else.
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:01 pm
Thanks for your comments, Foresight, and I’ve changed Riddles in the Dark to your suggestion.

The Gollum won’t seem so out of place with some of the riddles (which are basically all about revealing cards from hand) and a similar ability is used on loads of events from the Battle of the Five Armies, and some of them do far worse things than discard cards... Twisted Evil

I like the idea of the draw deck, and I might make some other cards like that, but I’ll leave the Gollum for the moment.

So 1 person thinks My Birthday Present isn’t good enough and another thinks it’s incredibly powerful. Any other opinions on it?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:42 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:
A

Minion
H1 U 130
so you could make yourself discard one. and when cards are discarded are they revealed?

Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Discard this condition to heal Gollum up to 3 times.
H1 U 137
cool

Condition
To play, spot Gollum.
H1 R 134

hum hum hum. I think it is OK.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:16 am
sickofpalantirs wrote:
so you could make yourself discard one. and when cards are discarded are they revealed?

That’s a good point, I hadn’t thought of that. I’m not sure it’s revealed when you discard it, but I have no real idea. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think it’s now time for some riddles, and the first set are all to do with cards in hand:

0 Mouths of Winds Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, exert Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. They must reveal their hand. If that number matches the number of events revealed, you may add 4. If not, remove 2.
H1 C 133

Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. They must reveal their hand. If that number matches the number of minions revealed, you may add 2 threats. If not, remove a threat.
H1 U 138

1 What Is He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. They must reveal their hand. If that number matches the number of Free Peoples cards revealed, you may add a burden. If not, wound a Gollum minion.
This is what he had come to find out, for he was not really very hungry at the moment...
H1 U 146

As we all know, riddling is a dirty game, and this is how you cheat (and it also works with Gollum above):

0 Pale Eyes Gollum
Event • Maneuver
H1 U 136

Event • Maneuver
Spot Gollum to take a Gollum riddle into hand from your discard pile. You may take the next maneuver action.
H1 C 132

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:34 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

0 Mouths of Winds Gollum
Event • Maneuver
To play, exert Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 C 133
cool!

Event • Maneuver
To play, spot Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 U 138
kinda a win-win situation if they don’t have a threat... you see their hand, and get a chance to add 2 threats but since it costs 1 it works

1 What Is He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 U 146
cool!

0 Pale Eyes Gollum
Event • Maneuver
H1 U 136
owie Wink Twisted Evil make it cost 1

Event • Maneuver
H1 C 132

ditto
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:47 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
0 Mouths of Winds Gollum
Event • Maneuver
To play, exert Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 C 133

I think riddle should come before the exerting requirement. I think it should also be "that opponent" instead of "they".

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 U 138

Again, keyword before spotting requirement. Keywords should ALWAYS be first.

Thranduil wrote:
1 What Is He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 U 146

I think you know what I’m going to say about the keyword by now, don’t you? Okay otherwise, though I’m not sure if the title and lore are really a "riddle", per se....

Thranduil wrote:
0 Pale Eyes Gollum
Event • Maneuver
H1 U 136

Very necessary for these riddles.

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Maneuver
H1 C 132

Decent. It has uses, certainly, though personally I’d probably rather stuff a couple more riddles into my deck. *shrug*
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Foresight
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:10 pm
Thranduil wrote:
0 Mouths of Winds Gollum
Event • Maneuver
To play, exert Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 C 133

Great event! Since if you can get it to go off, you will fuel more riddles to come! I’m sure that was the intention, and you got it right on the money. Thumbs Up

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 U 138

Nice.

Thranduil wrote:
1 What Is He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot Gollum.
Riddle.
H1 U 146

I’d make the drawback: "No other riddles may be played until the regroup phase." It would be more of a boon than a bane to have the current drawback, especally with enduring Shelobs.

Thranduil wrote:
0 Pale Eyes Gollum
Event • Maneuver
H1 U 136

Neat! I’d almost consider making it also discard a card at random. (If your memory is bad, you will get some of the above riddles wrong with what they discarded!)

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Maneuver
H1 C 132

You get a GP for a batch of fresh DCs.
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards