LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: GCCG (1.2.0 "Lady Shredder" - 02/26/11)  (Read 13249 times)

January 04, 2009, 04:46:33 PM
Read 13249 times

Kralik

GCCG (1.2.0 "Lady Shredder" - 02/26/11)
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
Quote from: Manuel
In these last months, there have been a couple persons working in the adaptation of GCCG (Generic Collectible Card Game) to the game-systems of LOTR.

GCCG has been extensively used for other games, such as MtG, and especially Middle Earth CCG, which has an active and yet living community built around the game.

I used to play SDA a lot in the LOTR WWL days, and have been using a lot GCCG in the past years with MECCG, and in my experience, GCCG is superior for a lot for reasons, and will help having the community unite.

I have extracted this information from the GCCG webpage:

Generic Collectible Card Game is a multiplayer multiplatform implementation of a card game engine. The card game engine is designed to be of general purpose core for several modules each defining the game specific behaviour. Players download a client for their platform and all modules of interest. After launching the client for one of the games, it connects to the central server of the game chosen. When connected, all aspects of the collecting, trading and playing are availble to the player. Here is a brief summary of features

* Deck editor including import and export from/to a text file.
    * Fast game play: bureaucracy not implemented (on purpose).
    * 1-4 players.
    * You can watch games while not playing yourself.
    * Highly customizeable: macros and scripting language included.
    * Servers have a knowledge of several game formats (for example Type 1, Type 1.5, etc. in Mtg).
       Own game formats can be defined. (in the case of LOTR, every format has been taking into account)
    * Sell cards by determining a price and the number of cards for sale. Clients can see always the best offer.
    * Easy trading: create your want list and the server helps you to find a trade.
    * Sealed deck games.
    * Export and import to/from existing deck formats.

You can download the client and the images for the game, as well as some screenshots here:

(Link no longer relevant --Kralik)

And this is the webpage for GCCG:

http://gccg.sourceforge.net/

I write this message to you because I would like to know what do you think of presenting this tool to the LOTR community, as the admin of the Online Section of this forum, and if you think it is a good idea, introducing it yourself to the players.

I really believe this will be a very helpful tool to keep and increase the LOTR gaming community.

Why another LotR platform?
Those were my initial thoughts when TheJord posted this PM to the White Council. And having spent so much time working on the LotR plugin for Lackey, introducing yet another alternative to SdA seemed like a waste of time. However, I have tried GCCG and... I love it! So before I mention differences in the interface, let me say why this would be good for TLHH. One word: community.

GCCG has something that both SdA and Lackey lack: a chat lobby that gives:

• A place for people to hang out and chat about LotR.
  • The ability to watch a game in process and chat with the players.
  • The ability to see who's currently playing and watching.

This, IMO, is a BIG deal. It's a lot more fun to play when you are seeing others play and hanging around them. Why would you have to post in "looking for a game" when you can just pop into the LotR TCG lobby and see who's around? Any interesting games to watch? And what if you just wanted to stop in and chat with your CC/TLHH buddies?

Aside from that, there is absolutely NO need to mess with port forwarding or Hamachi. No more "I can play if you can host!" It just works.

Here are some of the other great features:
  • Automatic game saves if either party loses their network connection.
  • The ability to buy, sell, collect, and trade virtual cards (using "money" earned from games).
  • EXTENSIVE keyboard shortcuts for just about everything. For example: Delete = Discard. Very handy.
  • An intuitive interface. Click on your draw deck to draw a card, click on the twilight pool to add a token, click on your adventure deck to play the next site (automatically if in Movie Block or before, otherwise you choose).
  • Easy additions of twilight simply by typing things like +11 or -8 into the chat.
  • A binder-style display of cards for deckbuilding.
  • The ability to run in fullscreen.
  • Native support for Zorbec's Decklist Builder and SdA decks (this was coded by wlk for me simply by request!)*
  • Nice touches like the ability to type culture icons in the chat window ([Gandalf], [Sauron], etc), your starting companions automatically pulled out of your draw deck for you, the ability to "touch" a card (highlight it momentarily to remind your opponent what you are using...)
  • *Active developers who listen to feedback and improve the program!

The new official way to install the windows client is:

1/ Go to GCCG official site: http://gccg.sourceforge.net/
2/ Follow the instructions (download http://gccg.sourceforge.net/gccg_install.zip, extract)
3/ Run "Install LOTR.bat", to download and install the LOTR module.
4/ Wait for all required components to be installed
5/ Start the game with "Lotr.bat"
6/ If first time install and asked for, type /newuser myname and restart again.
7/ When successfully connected, quit and use "Install LOTR Cards.bat" to also download the card images.

And that should be all.

Now, on a regular basis, you might want to update the client.
Use "Update Everything.bat" (while client is not running) to check and install updated components.

For Linux installation, go to official site (http://gccg.sourceforge.net/) and follow the instructions.

Most everything in the game can be accessed by right-clicking somewhere in the screen. On a table in the lobby, on a deck, on your hand, etc. If you want to use the keyboard shortcuts that is up to you. Here are some basic instructions to get you started:

• If you don't have write access to the C: drive (NB this is for you!), create a folder called home in the gccg folder. Otherwise, settings are written to C:\.gccg
  • Run Lotr.bat and pick a username by following the onscreen instructions.
  • After restarting, right-click to "Import deck" and choose a starter deck. Or, drop one of your Zorbec's decks into the gccg\decks\lotr folder and import that deck.
  • Click on Table 0 (1 player) to "sit down" and then middle-click to start a solitaire game. Tables 1 and 2 will let you play 2 players. More tables can be added if needed. :)
  • The game will automagically pull companions, RB, and the ring out of your deck. Simply click on the ones you want to play and then right-click whatever's left to choose "Shuffle to the deck".
  • SHIFT displays a card full-sized while it is being held-down, while F5 brings up a permanent card viewer.
  • Have fun!

I will be around from time to time if anyone wants to try it (I am the crab ;)); otherwise, there are a couple other players around that are willing to help. Right now seems like there are mostly European players on. Give it a shot, see what you think, and report suggestions and feedback! The other day, I popped into MECCG's lobby and saw 14 people playing, watching, and chatting. 'Twould be great to see the same for LotR. ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:47:13 AM by Kralik »

January 04, 2009, 04:50:32 PM
Reply #1

Kralik

Re: Introducing GCCG
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
And here are some screenshots! :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:14:28 PM by Kralik »

January 05, 2009, 02:58:48 AM
Reply #2

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:58:48 AM »
Thank you again, Kralik! Very interesting indeed. Now I really wish I could play with someone ;)

January 05, 2009, 05:39:40 AM
Reply #3

Kralik

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:39:40 AM »
Thank you again, Kralik! Very interesting indeed. Now I really wish I could play with someone ;)

Oh, just to be clear, I didn't come up with this. Kudos to wlk, who is a member of this board but keeping a low profile. :)

January 05, 2009, 09:16:35 AM
Reply #4

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »
The interface is nice and very user-friendly indeed. The most interesting concept to me was "buying" and "selling" cards with virtual money. So, while you can still play casual games using whatever cards you want, to play in tournaments you need to purchase cards and build decks with them, using the money won from previous torneys. This all seems very fun... except that there is nobody to play with. I saw a message that the official launch is coming soon, does that mean there are no people because it's still a test version?

January 05, 2009, 09:57:01 AM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
It will be launched "officially" soon, so don't start collecting yet, as usernames might be reset. As for the virtual money, from what I have observed so far:

Winning a game nets you $36.
Losing a game nets you $9.
Bets can be placed on tables.

Booster and Starter deck prices seem slightly inflated.

As for nobody to play with yet... there will be people to play when TLHH members start logging in! :P Otherwise, there's me, wlk, wigy, Manuel... if you see someone in the lobby with the following avatar:

It means they are sleeping (logged in but away).
Oh, and you can change your own avatar by typing:

/set avatar *yourchoice*

into the chat window. Choices are here.

I might have a chance this evening (Pacific US) to play -- let me know!

January 05, 2009, 10:19:29 AM
Reply #6

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
wait, so this doesn't cost any real money?
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

January 05, 2009, 10:45:47 AM
Reply #7

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:45:47 AM »
Nope. It costs virtual money, otherwise it would suck. :up:

January 05, 2009, 12:15:48 PM
Reply #8

wlk

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »

Oh, just to be clear, I didn't come up with this. Kudos to wlk, who is a member of this board but keeping a low profile. :)

Hey low profile yourself !  ;)

About the game, please try and have fun, and let me know everything you think that would help or be required.
All feedback is always welcome !

January 05, 2009, 12:26:33 PM
Reply #9

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
How do I create a deck?

January 05, 2009, 01:09:07 PM
Reply #10

Mc Tono

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »
Here`s a typical dutch question: it costs NO MONEY?I have access to all cards, it costs NO MONEY, it`s better than sda and it costs NO MONEY?

Am I right?

January 05, 2009, 01:15:02 PM
Reply #11

Kralik

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
In my opinion it's better than SdA. And yes, no $$$.

January 06, 2009, 01:44:04 AM
Reply #12

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:44:04 AM »
MR. Lurtzy
The straightforward way is to type "/newdeck <deck name>", then open a collection manager and middle-clicking the cards you want to add, then export the deck to save it.

Another way is to Import file created in Zorbec's Deckbuilder.

January 06, 2009, 06:05:39 AM
Reply #13

Kralik

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:39 AM »
then export the deck to save it.

As far as I can tell, it saves decks automatically, so I believe you would only need to export it to send it to someone else. You can access a bunch of the deck options by right-clicking on the title "Current Deck."

January 06, 2009, 05:38:05 PM
Reply #14

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
I am a long time GCCG user from my Middle Earth experience and I like the LOTR as well. I can found in the lobby when online usually, although due to work I show up at odd hours.