LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:36 am
I’ve changed the keyword thing, Dain. And although What Is He? isn’t quite a riddle, it is something that Gollum wanted to know the answer of, so I included it anyway. There’s also a similar one for Bilbo.

Foresight wrote:
Great event! Since if you can get it to go off, you will fuel more riddles to come! I’m sure that was the intention, and you got it right on the money. Thumbs Up

That’s partly it...

Foresight wrote:
I’d make the drawback: "No other riddles may be played until the regroup phase." It would be more of a boon than a bane to have the current drawback, especally with enduring Shelobs.

Your text unfortunately also paralyses Bilbo if he’s using riddles, so I’ll change it to wound Gollum so you can’t take advantage of being enduring.

Now for some other support cards to help you out with some riddling.

1 Three Guessesses Gollum
Event • Response
If a riddle is about to be resolved, spot Gollum to add or subtract 1 from a number named for that riddle.. This can change the effects of that riddle.
’Not fair! not fair!’ he hissed. ’It isn’t fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what its got in its nasty little pocketses.’
H1 C 143

0 Two Guesses At Once Gollum
Event • Response
If you must name a number as a result of a riddle’s game text, exert Gollum to name 2. If either named number is correct, the appropriate results trigger as usual.
He hissed and spluttered... and wriggled and squirmed; but still he did not dare to waste his last guess.
H1 U 144

0 Black Shadow Gollum
Event • Shadow
Play Gollum from your draw deck or discard pile to take a into hand a Gollum maneuver event from your discard pile.
No one would see him, no one would notice him, till he had his fingers on their throat.
H1 R 127

1 Not A Riddle Gollum
Event • Response
If a riddle is played, spot Gollum to choose one: shuffle your draw deck; count the number of cards in your hand, place your hand beneath your draw deck and draw the same number of cards; or play a Gollum maneuver event from hand (suspending the current riddle until the event is resolved). This can change the effects of that riddle.
’It must give us three guessesses, my precious, three guessesses.’
H1 C 135

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:36 pm; edited 4 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:42 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Event • Response
If a riddle is about to be resolved, spot Gollum to add or subtract 1 from a named number. This can change the effects of that riddle.
’Not fair! not fair!’ he hissed. ’It isn’t fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what its got in its nasty little pocketses.’
H1 C 143
cool should be worded from the number you named in that riddle.

Event • Response
If you must name a number, exert Gollum to name 2. If either is correct, the appropriate results trigger as usual.
He hissed and spluttered... and wriggled and squirmed; but still he did not dare to waste his last guess.
H1 U 144
sure

1 Black Shadow Gollum
Event • Shadow
Play Gollum from your draw deck or discard pile to take a into hand a Gollum maneuver event from your discard pile.
No one would see him, no one would notice him, till he had his fingers on their throat.
H1 R 127
cool

1 Not A Riddle Gollum (2)
Event • Response
If a riddle is played, spot Gollum to choose one: shuffle your draw deck; count the number of cards in your hand, place your hand beneath your draw deck and draw the same number of cards; or play a Gollum maneuver event from hand (suspending the current riddle until the event is resolved). This can change the effects of that riddle.
H1 C 135
l

I like this one more
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Event • Response
If a riddle is about to be resolved, spot Gollum to add or subtract 1 from a named number. This can change the effects of that riddle.
H1 C 143

I agree with SoP about the wording.

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Response
If you must name a number, exert Gollum to name 2. If either is correct, the appropriate results trigger as usual.
H1 U 144

I think I’d limit this to "if you must name a number as a result of a riddle’s gametext" or something of the like. The rest of the wording is odd, but that’s only because nothing like this has been done before. I think I’d still say "If either named number is correct", though.

Thranduil wrote:
1 Black Shadow Gollum
Event • Shadow
H1 R 127

Good, though perhaps it should cost 2.

Thranduil wrote:
1 Not A Riddle Gollum (1)
Event • Response
If a riddle is played, spot Gollum to make a minion fierce until the regroup phase.
H1 C 135

This is my least favorite of the two choices, but this would make a good card if you give it a different title and lore.

Thranduil wrote:
1 Not A Riddle Gollum (2)
Event • Response
H1 C 135

Complicated, but it works.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:05 pm
Sorry, Black Shadow was supposed to be 0 like Captured By the Ring! Embarassed

The problem with your wording SoP and Dain for Three Guessesses is then it doesn’t work as defence against your opponent’s riddles, and I wanted it to do both. Any suggestions that make that work as well?

I’ve fiddled with the wordings a bit. How do they look?

Thanks guys!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:11 pm
Thranduil wrote:
The problem with your wording SoP and Dain for Three Guessesses is then it doesn’t work as defence against your opponent’s riddles, and I wanted it to do both. Any suggestions that make that work as well?

Then just change it to "...add or subtract 1 from a number named in that riddle." Now it’s not player-specific, so it works whether a Shadow or FP player did the naming.

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:42 pm
Thanks Dain, changed it.

Now for the next riddling theme:

1 Empty Holes Filled Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of Free Peoples cards revealed, you may exert a companion. If it does not, the Free Peoples player may heal a companion.
’It comes first and follows after, / Ends life, kills laughter.’
H1 C 129

1 Silent Mail Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of possessions revealed, you may draw 3 cards. If it does not, discard one of your possessions or conditions.
’Never thirsty, ever drinking, / All in mail never clinking.’
H1 U 140

1 Watching Silently Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Spot Gollum to look at the top 6 cards of a player’s draw deck. Replace them in the same order.
Bilbo could not see him, be he was wondering a lot about Bilbo, for he could see that he was no goblin at all.
H1 C 145

Is this last one better costing twilight or an exertion? And how many cards?

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:47 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of Free Peoples cards revealed, you may exert a companion. If it does not, heal a companion.
H1 C 129

"reavl the top 5 cards of that opponent’s draw deck". I think I’d give the FP player the option of who to heal, though.

Thranduil wrote:
1 Silent Mail Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of possessions revealed, you may draw 3 cards. If it does not, discard one of your possessions or conditions.
H1 U 140

Same thing here with the wording of the reveal action.

Thranduil wrote:
Event • Maneuver
Spot Gollum to look at the top 6 cards of a player’s draw deck. Replace them in the same order.
Bilbo could not see him, be he was wondering a lot about Bilbo, for he could see that he was no goblin at all.
H1 C 145

I THINK it’s okay as is, though it’s hard to tell exactly what it should cost. Probably alright as is.

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:44 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:
Thanks Dain, changed it.

Now for the next riddling theme:

Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
Choose an opponent and name a number. Then reveal the top 5 cards of their draw deck. If the named number matches the number of Free Peoples cards revealed, you may exert a companion. If it does not, the Free Peoples player may heal a companion.
H1 C 129
cool

1 Silent Mail Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Riddle.
To play, spot Gollum.
H1 U 140
I guess

Event • Maneuver
H1 C 145

cut it to 4-5
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:59 pm
Here are some helper conditions for the riddles:

1 Deadly Cold Gollum
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot Gollum to add a Gollum token here for each underground site you can spot.
Maneuver: Remove X tokens from here to reveal the top X cards of a player’s draw deck.
Suddenly without any warning he trotted splash into water! Ugh! it was icy cold.
H1 C 128

3 • Subterranean Lake Gollum
Condition • Support Area
While at an underground site, each Gollum event’s twilight cost is -1.
While at a lake or river site, Gollum is fierce.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to reveal a player’s hand.
... for lake it was, wide and deep and deadly cold.
H1 R 141

And before you point it out, lake is a new terrain keyword found on various sites in the set, including (unsurprisingly) Gollum’s Pool and The Long Lake.

1 • Rotting Boat Gollum
Possession • Support Area
Each time a riddle is played and you can spot fewer than 3 cards stacked on this condition, you may spot Gollum to stack that riddle here.
Maneuver: Exert Gollum to take your card stacked here into hand.
He had a little boat, and he rowed about quietly on the lake...
H1 R 139

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:08 pm
Thranduil wrote:
1 Deadly Cold Gollum
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot Gollum to add a Gollum token here for each underground site you can spot.
Maneuver: Remove X tokens from here to reveal the top X cards of a player’s draw deck.
Suddenly without any warning he trotted splash into water! Ugh! it was icy cold.
H1 C 128

Normally it’d be pretty useless (though certainly interesting), but with your riddles, of course, it’s perfect.

Thranduil wrote:
3 • Subterranean Lake Gollum
Condition • Support Area
While at an underground site, each Gollum event’s twilight cost is -1.
While at a lake or river site, Gollym is fierce.
Maneuver: Discard this condition to reveal a player’s hand.
... for lake it was, wide and deep and deadly cold.
H1 R 141

Misspelled "Gollum". In Expanded, this would help Smeagol too, but that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it. A solid card.

Thranduil wrote:
And before you point it out, lake is a new terrain keyword found on various sites in the set, including (unsurprisingly) Gollum’s Pool and The Long Lake.

You know, maybe I should do that. I just stuck with "river", but it doesn’t really fit with the locations you mentioned. Hmmm.... Think

Thranduil wrote:
1 • Rotting Boat Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each a riddle is played and you can spot fewer than 3 cards stacked on this condition, you may spot Gollum to stack that riddle here.
Maneuver: Exert Gollum and remove 1 to take your card stacked here into hand.
He had a little boat, and he rowed about quietly on the lake...
H1 R 139

I made it a possession myself, just because Gollum really doesn’t have any, but it works as a condition just fine, especially since you don’t have any cards that help out with "Gollum possessions". *shrug* But I digress. You missed an important "time" near the beginning of the text. I think the maneuver ability might be a little harsh since you have to exert AND remove 1. I think just exerting would be sufficient. Thumbs Up

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards