LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
NBarden
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 pm
So, we all know of the huge Saruman, Servant of Sauron fiasco. So let’s argue it out.

Do shadow followers get discarded with minions during the regroup phase?

My position. The Rule Book states that followers stay with the fellowship until the end of the turn. I assume that it is the same for minions. At the end of the turn they are transferred back to your support area. Since minions are also discarded at the end of the turn, I think that the shadow player gets to decide whether to return the follower to your support area first or discard the minion bearing him first. Of course, you never want to discard it, unless you have another 2 copies and can chuck it, discard the other, and play another next turn, but that’s beside the point.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:48 pm
Well, assuming you’re not missing anything, that makes perfect sense.

At the end of the turn, you get two (mandatory) actions:
A. Transfer the follower to the support area
B. Discard the minions

Do whichever - if you have Saruman, Servant of Sauron in your hand and a minion Saruman, discard first, play the minion next turn and play the follower afterwards.
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 am
Sounds reasonable, except you are forgetting one thing:

Comprehensive Rules 4.0: Glossary of Terms wrote:
If two or more required actions are occurring at the same time (for example, more than one “start of turn” action), the Free Peoples player decides in which order they occur.

Thus the free people’s player would get to choose the order of execution for the required actions, Transferring followers and discarding minions and would always choose the order that is to their advantage: discarding minions, and then transferring followers back to the support area.

This rule needs to be fixed to something along the lines of:
During the regroup phase, when the owner of a follower reconciles, each follower is transferred back to the support area (at no cost). Follower cards have a gold circle in the upper left to remind you to return them to the support area.

This would mean that the shadow player would have to pay the Aid for his followers twice if he/she wanted to put it back on the same minion, but it would prevent the follower from being discarded when the Free People’s player reconciles as would happen with the current rules.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 am
Or have shadow followers, if the free peoples player reconciles, return a follower to your support area....
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I think D will be errating this...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
yerkamig
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:53 am
NBarden wrote:
So, we all know of the huge Saruman, Servant of Sauron fiasco. So let’s argue it out.

Do shadow followers get discarded with minions during the regroup phase?

My position. The Rule Book states that followers stay with the fellowship until the end of the turn. I assume that it is the same for minions. At the end of the turn they are transferred back to your support area. Since minions are also discarded at the end of the turn, I think that the shadow player gets to decide whether to return the follower to your support area first or discard the minion bearing him first. Of course, you never want to discard it, unless you have another 2 copies and can chuck it, discard the other, and play another next turn, but that’s beside the point.

Actually I would prefer to have the choice of discarding him. If I’m playing any other versions of Saruman I can’t have him as a follower sitting in my support area. But if I can discard the follower Saruman easily, he can work in a desk with other Sarumans. But if he is forced to stay in the support area when a minion he is attached to doesn’t die, it’s too risky to run him with other versions. Right?
NBarden
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:39 am
Stick him on a Goblin Runner.

Or for standard legal, run that infinite Men loop that kills half your guys and plays every minion in the deck. (Easterling Dispatcher is SO broken.)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions