LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How Playable is Glamdring, Orc-Beater?

5 (best)  
45%
  [ 5 ]  45%

36%
  [ 4 ]  36%

9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

1 (worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 11
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:09 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Nice card, IMO. Woodland Onod combo with Inspiration and Pippin, WOBAS? Good stuff. Not for a Refuge deck, certainly not. But it’s like Refuge. But a Gandalf deck!!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Cobra
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 am
elf lvr wrote:
Look, both cards need to discard companions! So you can really only use one with one companion discarded. And personally, I’d choose Refuge itself. Healing is better than wound prevention, IMO.

Exactly. We’re seeing some new Refuge-style cards in Rise of Saruman, but that doesn’t mean they belong in a Refuge deck. Playing Refuge, Woodland Onod, AND Glamdring, Orc Beater will just thin out your strategy, because you can only have so many companions in hand to discard. I say pick your favorite of these three cards, and build a deck that focuses on using that card to its full potential.

I have to disagree with that last sentence, though. Preventing a wound is almost always as good as healing a wound, and in many cases it’s better. For example, against Southron decks (Whirling Strike, Red Wrath), that wound could go anywhere; with prevention you have the benefit of knowledge and reaction, but with healing you don’t. And against Ninja Gollum (They Stole It / Not This Time + Promise Keeping), healing gives your fellowship one extra point of vitality, while preventing that wound effectively saves two.

A card of prevention is worth a deck of cure... or something like that. Wink
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
bibfortuna25
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:03 am
I’d still rather use Glamdring, Foe-hammer, though.
All cards do what they say.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:36 am
Why? Because its a built in Watch and Wait. Better to just use Watch and Wait and another Glamdring that fits the point of the deck.

I would use this in a refuge deck. I wouldn’t use Woodland Onod, but since Glamdring accomplishes the same point of refuge, it would be a willing addition.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anvar
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 am
Foe-Hammer is a great card that belongs in many decks. This Glamdring is different. It isn’t a Spike card and it can’t fit into all decks. It’s a Jonny card, meant for combo fun and deserves to have its own deck built around it.

Key cards to consider using: Gandalf, Greyhame - allows you to play your Companions from your discard pile.
Gandalf, Mithrandir - easy and effective wound prevention might just make him worth using.
Serving the Precious - and other Smeagol cards allow you to manipulate companions in your discard pile.
Inspiration - if you don’t use your companions for wound prevention, win fights with them. Then discard them to Woodland Onod.
Crags of Emyn Muil - Stop your opponent then double move through the site yourself.

The idea of a Gandalf deck packed with Companions looks really cool, and I for one am very excited about trying it.

Anvar
bibfortuna25
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 pm
NBarden wrote:
Why? Because its a built in Watch and Wait. Better to just use Watch and Wait and another Glamdring that fits the point of the deck.

I would use this in a refuge deck. I wouldn’t use Woodland Onod, but since Glamdring accomplishes the same point of refuge, it would be a willing addition.

Because Glamdring, Foe-hammer is much more useful than Watch and Wait in most decks.
All cards do what they say.
masswelter13
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:05 am
I agree with elf lvr, wound preventation is not as importaint as healing.
I would have thought that a card like Glamdring would have been better, but, oh well.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:53 am
Work Glamdring and Refuge side by side. They accomplish the same thing, Glamdring could save someone’s life vs a damage +3 Balrog, or Sauron, and Refuge heals the exertions...
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:51 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
on D people though that glamdring was better then refuge.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:03 pm
Both work together.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion