LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:33 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thanks, guys. I think AC makes a good argument for Option 1. I’ll leave it like that.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Laketown Banner-bearer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
While bearing Banner of the Lake, this companion is strength +1.
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand.
“‘...we bid him consider well the claims that have been urged, or be declared our foe.’”

*Gulp*

I can’t believe that NBarden and SoP thought this guy needed to be better. His response ability is sooooo powerful, this guy would be X-ed right away. He completely kills any deck that runs big minions; even Uruks and Nazgul get a smack in the face! For just a discard and a threat you can in effect remove up to 20 twilight.

He’d be bad enough if he was unique, but as a non-unique companion... ouch! If all 4 have weapons, you can pretty much deny the Shadow player any chance of hurting you.

I can’t really think of a way to make him more balanced, but as he is he would just completely kill nearly every deck.

How about I change the ability to this:

Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand. Any Shadow player may discard an unwounded minion or a Shadow condition to prevent this.

Now the Shadow player has an out. It’s still a painful one, but it IS an out. Is that still too good? I think the threat adding will keep it from getting TOO out of hand, especially considering that adding too many threats will prevent the Lakemen from using several of their other powerful abilities.

Should he still be unique? If so, got a good name suggestion for him? Laughing

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Banner of the Lake Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, spot another Gandalf Man and a minion to add or remove a threat.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish, discard this possession to liberate a site.
“They bore with them...the blue banner of the Lake, and they advanced until they stood right before the wall at the Gate.”

Needs a ’you may’ for the threat ability, since there are times when you might not want to change how many threats are in play.

Really? I thought that since it has the spotting text, that made it optional already. You can choose not to spot and therefore not use the ability, can’t you?

Thanks for the comments, AC, and double thanks for going back and ensuring I don’t have broken cards. GP for your efforts. I appreciate it. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:44 pm
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone. Hopefully the day has you looking more like these guys Dancing Applause than these guys Not talking Brick wall. Maybe your significant other even has you doing this: Homage.

Razz

As for me, I’m stuck at work, away from my wife, so you get cards! Don’t ask me exactly how or why that works...it just does. Trust me. Mr. Green

Dáin’s DC Duos #33

Okay, we’re finally winding down with the Gandalf Men. But before we go, there’s some more archery to show off. You didn’t think the ONE archery event I’ve posted so far would be it for them, did you? Razz There’s also a bonus condition, what with this being #33 and all. Seems a good time for a Trio to me! Smile Enjoy!

1 Hail of Dark Arrows Gandalf
Event • Archery
Make X Gandalf archers strength -1 until the regroup phase to make the fellowship archery total +X.
“No fireworks you ever imagined equaled the sights that night.”

Tough choice here. You can really ramp up the archery total and hopefully kill a couple minions off early, but then you leave yourself more vulnerable when the skirmishes start. This is probably best used when there’s just a couple large minions (or one REALLY large one, like Smaug). You can hopefully just overwhelm the Shadow with archery and force them to assign all the wounds to their large minion(s) and take it/them out. Probably less effective against a swarm, but this card is flexible enough that you can do a little or a lot, depending on how much risk you’re willing to take!

1 The Moon Is Rising Gandalf
Event • Archery
Exert 3 Gandalf archers (or exert Bard twice) and spot a minion to make the fellowship archery total +X, where X is the vitality of that minion; any archer exerted in this way does not add to the fellowship archery total.
“Then Bard drew his bow-string to his ear....The dragon swooped once more lower than ever, and as he turned and dived down his belly glittered white with sparkling fires of gems in the moon--but not in one place.”

Kinda speaks for itself. My question is whether it is over/underpowered. What do you think?

1 Many Provisions Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Response: If the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may spot a Gandalf Man companion (or 2 Gandalf allies) to take a possession (or 2 Gandalf possessions) into hand from your draw deck.
“‘What help we can offer shall be yours, and we trust to your gratitude when your kingdom is regained.’”

Kinda wordy, I know, but I think it flows well enough. I wanted to capture the stocking of Thorin’s Company as they set out from Laketown to confront Smaug...getting "many provisions". How’d I do?

EDIT: Tweaks made to all cards following reviews by SoP, NBarden, and BattleWarg. Thanks, guys!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:59 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Dáin’s DC Duos #33

Event • Archery
Make X Gandalf archers strength -2 until the regroup phase to make the fellowship archery total +X.
interesting. From the lore this almost sounds like a spell. Or is is talking about real arrows flying from the sky. It almost seems underpowered to me, i would make it -1, and give it a limit.

Event • Archery
Exert 3 Gandalf archers (or exert Bard and add 1) and spot a minion to make the fellowship archery total +X, where X is the vitality of that minion.
“Then Bard drew his bow-string to his ear. The dragon was circling back, flying low, and as he came the moon rose above the eastern shore and silvered his great wings....The dragon swooped once more lower than ever, and as he turned and dived down his belly glittered white with sparkling fires of gems in the moon-but not in one place.”
way to overpowered if you can spot bard. i would make it or Exert bard twice or something like that also cut the lore to
“Then Bard drew his bow-string to his ear....The dragon swooped once more lower than ever, and as he turned and dived down his belly glittered white with sparkling fires of gems in the moon-but not in one place.”

Condition • Support Area
Response: Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may spot a Gandalf Man companion (or 2 Gandalf allies) to take a possession (or 2 Gandalf possessions) into hand from your draw deck.
“‘What help we can offer shall be yours, and we trust to your gratitude when your kingdom is regained.’”

interesting. I don’t know what to say though it just doesn’t sound right right now.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:57 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone. Hopefully the day has you looking more like these guys Dancing Applause than these guys Not talking Brick wall. Maybe your significant other even has you doing this: Homage.

Razz

As for me, I’m stuck at work, away from my wife, so you get cards! Don’t ask me exactly how or why that works...it just does. Trust me. Mr. Green

Oh great, he found the smileys Smile Where’s the Cobra ?

Valentine’s day is just another day for me. I don’t have a girlfriend and don’t want one.

Dáin’s DC Duos #33

Okay, we’re finally winding down with the Gandalf Men. But before we go, there’s some more archery to show off. You didn’t think the ONE archery event I’ve posted so far would be it for them, did you? Razz There’s also a bonus condition, what with this being #33 and all. Seems a good time for a Trio to me! Smile Enjoy!

Event • Archery
Make X Gandalf archers strength -2 until the regroup phase to make the fellowship archery total +X.

Yeesh. Maybe just make it strength -1

Tough choice here. You can really ramp up the archery total and hopefully kill a couple minions off early, but then you leave yourself more vulnerable when the skirmishes start. This is probably best used when there’s just a couple large minions (or one REALLY large one, like Smaug). You can hopefully just overwhelm the Shadow with archery and force them to assign all the wounds to their large minion(s) and take it/them out. Probably less effective against a swarm, but this card is flexible enough that you can do a little or a lot, depending on how much risk you’re willing to take!

Event • Archery
Exert 3 Gandalf archers (or exert Bard and add 1) and spot a minion to make the fellowship archery total +X, where X is the vitality of that minion.
“Then Bard drew his bow-string to his ear. The dragon was circling back, flying low, and as he came the moon rose above the eastern shore and silvered his great wings....The dragon swooped once more lower than ever, and as he turned and dived down his belly glittered white with sparkling fires of gems in the moon-but not in one place.”

One problem. Most big minions are enduring.

Kinda speaks for itself. My question is whether it is over/underpowered. What do you think?

Condition • Support Area
Response: Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may spot a Gandalf Man companion (or 2 Gandalf allies) to take a possession (or 2 Gandalf possessions) into hand from your draw deck.

Balanced. You won’t get to play them in the regroup phase and it clogs your hand for bad guys, but when your next turn comes it could pay off. Not going to be abused, but its definitely going to be used...especially with a no-minion shadow that simply serves to further the FP.

Kinda wordy, I know, but I think it flows well enough. I wanted to capture the stocking of Thorin’s Company as they set out from Laketown to confront Smaug...getting "many provisions". How’d I do?

Can you do another triple later?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
BattleWarg
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:24 pm
You may be right on the Banner of the Lake... I didn’t think about that.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Archery

I like it. As for strength/weakness, I think it might be too weak at -2, but too strong at -1... Maybe a cost reduction, or -1 with an additional cost of some sort.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Archery

Yeah, good quote, but probably a bit long... What about adding "Bard does not add to the archery total."? You then get a 1 cost, 3 exertion to boost the archery total by (probably 2 or 3 at least - above those three archers you already have) or a 2 cost, 1 exertion to boost the archery total by one less than what the other would. With Bard not adding, it’s still a plus overall unless there is no 2 vitality (or more) minion you can spot (in which case, it’s not the time to play the card)

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

Well, first would be to either remove the response ability, limiting it to one per move, or change ’Each time’ to ’If’.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:03 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Archery

interesting. From the lore this almost sounds like a spell. Or is is talking about real arrows flying from the sky. It almost seems underpowered to me, i would make it -1, and give it a limit.

NBarden wrote:
Yeesh. Maybe just make it strength -1

BattleWarg wrote:
I like it. As for strength/weakness, I think it might be too weak at -2, but too strong at -1... Maybe a cost reduction, or -1 with an additional cost of some sort.

I’ll just reduce it to -1. Everyone seems agreed on that.

As for the lore:

The Hobbit wrote:
Amid shrieks and wailing and the shouts of men he came over them, swept towards the bridges and was foiled! The bridge was gone, and his enemies were on an island in deep water-too deep and dark and cool for his liking. If he plunged into it, a vapour and a steam would arise enough to cover all the land with a mist for days; but the lake was mightier than he, it would quench him before he could pass through.
Roaring he swept back over the town. A hail of dark arrows leaped up and snapped and rattled on his scales and jewels, and their shafts fell back kindled by his breath burning and hissing into the lake. No fireworks you ever imagined equalled the sights that night. At the twanging of the bows and the shrilling of the trumpets the dragon’s wrath blazed to its height, till he was blind and mad with it. No one had dared to give battle to him for many an age; nor would they have dared now, if it had not been for the grim-voiced man (Bard was his name), who ran to and fro cheering on the archers and urging the Master to order them to fight to the last arrow.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Archery

way to overpowered if you can spot bard. i would make it or Exert bard twice or something like that also cut the lore to
“Then Bard drew his bow-string to his ear....The dragon swooped once more lower than ever, and as he turned and dived down his belly glittered white with sparkling fires of gems in the moon-but not in one place.”

BattleWarg wrote:
Yeah, good quote, but probably a bit long... What about adding "Bard does not add to the archery total."? You then get a 1 cost, 3 exertion to boost the archery total by (probably 2 or 3 at least - above those three archers you already have) or a 2 cost, 1 exertion to boost the archery total by one less than what the other would. With Bard not adding, it’s still a plus overall unless there is no 2 vitality (or more) minion you can spot (in which case, it’s not the time to play the card)

I’ll just drop the additional 1 and exert Bard twice. And I’ll make it so those archers don’t add to the archery total.

Also, I’ll trim down the lore. Smile

BattleWarg wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

Well, first would be to either remove the response ability, limiting it to one per move, or change ’Each time’ to ’If’.

Good catch! I’ll fix that.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. Smile Let me know if the updated cards are better.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:21 pm
Dáin’s DC Duos #34

Today, we finally bring the Gandalf Men to a close...for the time being, at least. I’d still like to beef up their culture a little in the future; they could use some more skirmishing help, and perhaps a couple more cards that tie them in better with Dwarves and Green Elves, but I’m burned out right now. So that will have to wait for another time.

For now, let’s send them out with a bang. Here’s a slew of cards that come from sets other than Lasting Alliances. It’s more than a Duo, more than even a Double Duo, so just forget this is called, technically, a "duo" and enjoy! Razz

From The Road Ahead, my Fellowship of the Rings set:

2Brand, Leader of the Bardings Gandalf
Companion • Man
Resistance: 6
While you can spot a Gandalf knight, Brand is a knight.
While you can spot a Gandalf archer, Brand is an archer.
Each other Gandalf archer and Gandalf knight is strength +1.
“‘He is a strong king, and his realm now reaches far south and east of Esgaroth.’”

2Hugin, Consel of the Lakemen Gandalf
Companion • Man
To play, spot a Gandalf Man or Wizard.
Each time a Free Peoples card (except a character) is about to be discarded, you may exert Hugin to place that card beneath your draw deck instead (or if that card is a Gandalf card, you may choose to shuffle it into your draw deck instead).
A former warrior and official counselor to the Master of Laketown, he had become one of his lands’ most respected emissaries.

1Riduan, Man of Dale Gandalf
Ally • Home 3 [FotR] & 8 [LA] • Man
Strength: 2
To play, spot Gandalf or a Gandalf Man.
Maneuver: Exert Riduan and discard a card from hand to draw a card. If you draw a card of the same culture as the card you discarded, you may reveal it to heal a character of that culture.
“‘Nowhere are there any men so friendly to us as the Men of Dale. They are good folk, the Bardings.’”

2 Surpassed the Old Days Gandalf
Condition
To play, spot a Gandalf Man (or exert a Dwarf). Plays on a river or dwelling. Limit 1 per site.
This site’s Shadow number is -1.
When the fellowship moves from this site, you may heal up to two Gandalf Men or Dwarves.
“‘You should see the waterways of Dale, Frodo, and the fountains, and the pools! You should see the stone-paved roads of many colours!’”

From The End Of All Things, my Return of the King set:

3Brand, Heir of Bard Gandalf
Companion • Man
Knight. While you can spot a Gandalf Man companion, Brand’s twilight cost is -1.
Brand is strength +1 for each other Gandalf Man companion you can spot (limit +3).
Each time Brand wins a skirmish, you may exert him to heal a Gandalf Man or unique Dwarf.
“‘...Sauron could have done terrible harm in the North...if King Brand and King Dain had not stood in his path.’”

EDIT: Several changes made after all the reviews, especially the Hugin. Thanks, everyone!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

NBarden
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:44 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #34

Today, we finally bring the Gandalf Men to a close...for the time being, at least. I’d still like to beef up their culture a little in the future; they could use some more skirmishing help, and perhaps a couple more cards that tie them in better with Dwarves and Green Elves, but I’m burned out right now. So that will have to wait for another time.

For now, let’s send them out with a bang. Here’s a slew of cards that come from sets other than Lasting Alliances. It’s more than a Duo, more than even a Double Duo, so just forget this is called, technically, a "duo" and enjoy! Razz

Companion • Man
“‘He is a strong king, and his realm now reaches far south and east of Esgaroth.’”

Nice! Very Nice! GP!

Companion • Man
Each time a Free Peoples card (except characters) is about to be discarded, you may exert Hugin twice (or once if that card is a Gandalf card) to place that card beneath your draw deck instead.
A former warrior and official counselor to the Master of Laketown, he had become one of his lands’ most respected emissaries.

Except a character...

Maneuver: Exert Riduan and discard a card from hand to draw a card. If you draw a card of the same culture as the card you discarded, you may heal a character of that culture.
“‘Nowhere are there any men so friendly to us as the Men of Dale. They are good folk, the Bardings.’”

Nice. No suggestions.

Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a Gandalf Man (or exert a Dwarf). Plays on a river or dwelling. Limit 1 per site.
When the fellowship moves from this site, you may heal up to two Gandalf Men or Dwarves.
“‘You should see the waterways of Dale, Frodo, and the fountains, and the pools! You should see the stone-paved roads of many colours!’”

Whoa! Um...maybe add "to play, play the fellowship’s next site (replacing opponent’s site if necessary)" Because the only time this would see play is when your behind, which is not likely since Gandalf is geared towards a run. In other words, useless unless you have site control.

Companion • Man
Knight. While you can spot a Gandalf Man companion, Brand’s twilight cost is -1.
Brand is strength +1 for each other Gandalf Man companion you can spot (limit +3).
Each time Brand wins a skirmish, you may exert him to heal a Gandalf Man or unique Dwarf.
“‘...Sauron could have done terrible harm in the North...if King Brand and King Dain had not stood in his path.’”

Nice. Cut the exert part, cause it could get out of hand with Grimbeorn on a run....maybe make him an archer?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:39 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #34

Companion • Man
it shoudl be gains ... archer knight etc

Companion • Man
Each time a Free Peoples card (except characters) is about to be discarded, you may exert Hugin twice (or once if that card is a Gandalf card) to place that card beneath your draw deck instead.
I would just make it one exertion no matter what.

Maneuver: Exert Riduan and discard a card from hand to draw a card. If you draw a card of the same culture as the card you discarded, you may heal a character of that culture.
fine by me

Condition • Support Area
theoretically I don’t think it should be support area. works for me

Companion • Man

didn’t brand die? and dain to? not that that relates to anything. just say gandalf man for the first ability.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Cool (and you don’t have to do what SoP said; see Elven Bow for an example).
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Yeah, one exertion no matter what would be fine.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Nice... but I think the card would have to be revealed or something, so that the Shadow player could verify that it actually was of the same culture.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

Wow, pretty powerful, but I think it balances out. You just need to drop ’• Support Area’.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Cool, that works for me.

GP for a great thread of Gandalf goodness! GP

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards