LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:54 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #31
2 Laketown Banner-bearer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
While bearing Banner of the Lake, this companion is strength +1.
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand.
“‘...we bid him consider well the claims that have been urged, or be declared our foe.’”
the lore doesn’t make a lot of sense, but thats nothing new with cards from anyone. Personally I think he is kinda underpowered, either make him base 6 strength, or be +2 while bearing the banner.

1 Banner of the Lake Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, spot another Gandalf Man and a minion to remove a threat.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish, discard this possession to liberate a site.
“They bore with them...the blue banner of the Lake, and they advanced until they stood right before the wall at the Gate.”
Its does the job, though it would be kinda interesting if you put to add or remove a threat.
Also, keep an eye out for a poll later to see what type of cards you want to see next after Gandalf Men are done. Smile

I want you to finish your other sets Wink
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thanks, guys. Changes have been made to the cards.

As this is your first review in this thread, BW, you got yourself a free GP. GP
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:12 pm
Dáin’s DC Duos #32

It’t not even 5:00 and the last Duo already has a couple reviews, so on we go with another!

2Master of Laketown, Cautious Councilor Gandalf
Companion • Man
If you can spot 4 threats, Master of Laketown is unhasty.
When you play Master of Laketown, you may draw a card for each Gandalf ally you can spot.
Each time you play a tale or artifact, you may heal a Gandalf ally.
“...nor did he think much of old songs, giving his mind to trade and tolls, to cargoes and gold, to which habit he owed his position.”

As powerful as the original Master is (creating a sanctuary at site 8, playing allies from your draw deck), this one makes picking one version over the other an agonizing decision. Lots of healing for companions and easy ally drawing, or lots of healing for your allies and nice card drawing? Hmmmm.... Think

Oh, and note that I tweaked the vitality and added unhasty for both versions. The Master would rather cower and run than fight, after all.

2Necklace of Girion Dwarven
Artifact • Support Area
To play, spot a Dwarf or a Dwarven artifact.
Each time a Gandalf Man wins a skirmish, you may exert that Man to place a Gandalf token here.
At the start of each archery phase, you may remove a Gandalf token from here to make the fellowship archery total +1.
“...made of five hundred emeralds green as grass....”

I know, I know: it’s not a Gandalf card at all. But it may as well be. I actually have several Dwarven artifacts planned or already made for Lasting Alliances (mostly from Smaug’s horde), but none that are so useful to another culture. After the spotting requirements, this is ALL Lakemen. Just in case they’re somehow hurting for archery, this gives them a little extra to play with, especially if you get it out early. Mr. Green

One other thing I considered instead of the current archery phase text was this:

Archery: Remove 2 Gandalf tokens from here to make the fellowship archery total +1.

I was afraid that would be overpowered, though. What do you think?
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:28 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #32

It’t not even 5:00 and the last Duo already has a couple reviews, so on we go with another!

Companion • Man
Unhasty.
When you play Master of Laketown, you may draw a card for each Gandalf ally you can spot.
“...nor did he think much of old songs, giving his mind to trade and tolls, to cargoes and gold, to which habit he owed his position.”

Hm...unhasty..that’s a big drawback. Maybe have some way for him to skirmish

As powerful as the original Master is (creating a sanctuary at site 8, playing allies from your draw deck), this one makes picking one version over the other an agonizing decision. Lots of healing for companions and easy ally drawing, or lots of healing for your allies and nice card drawing? Hmmmm.... Think

Oh, and note that I tweaked the vitality and added unhasty for both versions. The Master would rather cower and run than fight, after all.

Artifact • Support Area
Each time a Gandalf Man wins a skirmish, you may exert that Man to place a Gandalf token here.
At the start of each archery phase, you may remove a Gandalf token from here to make the fellowship archery total +1.

Nice. Maybe "spot two Gandalf men" instead of an exertion. There are many instances I can think of where it may not be advisable to exert (Grimbeorn on a run, for example...)

I know, I know: it’s not a Gandalf card at all. But it may as well be. I actually have several Dwarven artifacts planned or already made for Lasting Alliances (mostly from Smaug’s horde), but none that are so useful to another culture. After the spotting requirements, this is ALL Lakemen. Just in case they’re somehow hurting for archery, this gives them a little extra to play with, especially if you get it out early. Mr. Green

One other thing I considered instead of the current archery phase text was this:

Skirmish: Remove 2 Gandalf tokens from here to make the fellowship archery total +1.

I was afraid that would be overpowered, though. What do you think?

Wrong Phase. But I think that would be good. Definitely not overpowered.

Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:38 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Unhasty.

Creative, yet useful. Although he is unhasty, his healing ability is very nice. Good job! Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Artifact • Support Area

Nice card; however, I would consider dropping the twilight cost to 1. Good cards; I’m looking forward to the next set of Duos! Applause
I had to put something here.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Unhasty.

Nice... but since he’s unhasty and you don’t have a way for him to fight, I think you should keep this version as an ally. Either way works, but an ally just seems better.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Artifact • Support Area

Awesome! That is worthy of a GP. GP

One slight wording change would be to change ’each’ to ’the’ (following the pattern of cards like Legolas, Woodland Emissary).

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:56 pm
Okay, I hear you all. I’ll come up with some way for the Master to fight, or just change him to an ally. The people have spoken! Razz

One question that is still unanswered. I’m glad that you all like the Necklace of Girion, but what I didn’t hear was which text you preferred for the archery ability. Take your pick...the most votes wins!

Option 1:

Option 2:
Archery: Remove 2 Gandalf tokens from here to make the fellowship archery total +1.

Thanks. Look for more cards in a short bit.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 pm
I’d say Option 1; that way, if the Gandalf culture gets an easy way to reinforce tokens, the Freeps would still only be able to get 1 max archery instead of maybe 5. Alatar, Final Envoy, Shadowfax, Roaring Wind, and Quickbeam, Hastiest of All Ents are the 3 current cards that can reinforce Gandalf tokens, and you might be able to abuse the Necklace even with just those 3.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:45 pm
Option 1 is underpowered, Option 2 is overpowered. Try to find a median.

Maybe remove three tokens, or remove 2 tokens at the start to make the archery total +2.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:59 pm
Option 1 doesn’t seem underpowered. The ability to easily churn out an extra bit of archery every turn seems like a good thing to me, especially since you can just exert once and transfer Alatar every other time to keep the tokens flowing. Think

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Laketown Banner-bearer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 7
To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
While bearing Banner of the Lake, this companion is strength +1.
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand.
“‘...we bid him consider well the claims that have been urged, or be declared our foe.’”

*Gulp*

I can’t believe that NBarden and SoP thought this guy needed to be better. His response ability is sooooo powerful, this guy would be X-ed right away. He completely kills any deck that runs big minions; even Uruks and Nazgul get a smack in the face! For just a discard and a threat you can in effect remove up to 20 twilight.

He’d be bad enough if he was unique, but as a non-unique companion... ouch! If all 4 have weapons, you can pretty much deny the Shadow player any chance of hurting you.

I can’t really think of a way to make him more balanced, but as he is he would just completely kill nearly every deck.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Banner of the Lake Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, spot another Gandalf Man and a minion to add or remove a threat.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish, discard this possession to liberate a site.
“They bore with them...the blue banner of the Lake, and they advanced until they stood right before the wall at the Gate.”

Needs a ’you may’ for the threat ability, since there are times when you might not want to change how many threats are in play.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards