LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Esgaroth Longbow Gandalf
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion.
Bearer is an archer.
“Bows twanged and arrows whistled....”

Why only a companion, and not an ally? Think

Two reasons: 1.) I didn’t want it to be TOO good, and B.) in my opinion, it doesn’t fit with the storyline very well to have characters like the Master of Laketown and other allies (that you haven’t seen yet) like blacksmiths and merchants being an archer that easily. They CAN bear the other bow, but they have to work at being archers then.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 So Fierce Was Its Flight Gandalf
Event • Archery
Discard an arrow or make the fellowship archery total -2 to wound a minion.
At the end of each archery phase during which this event was played or discarded, you may exert a Gandalf Man archer to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
“The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft and feather....”

Nice, although to follow the pattern of previous cards you need to add ’(to a minimum of 0)’ after the archery deduction. Also, it’d look better if you dropped the word ’Man’ after ’Gandalf’; I can’t find any way to make a non-Man Gandalf companion an archer.

Ack, good point about the archery total. I did that for other cards and just forgot on this one. I’ll fix that and drop "Man".

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Also, I just now realized that this isn’t culturally enforced. Whistle

Stupid cultural enforcement! Razz

Okay, I’ll find some way to fix that, too. I’ll probably have to cut down the lore to make the extra room, but that’s okay.

thonnas7 wrote:
Are there going to be a lot of arrows?

There will be...enough. Razz And they won’t just be Gandalf culture, either.

Thanks for the reviews, gentlemen. As this is your first in the thread, Thonnas, check your GP count. Smile

More cards very soon.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:30 pm
Dáin’s DC Duos #22

Well today is Duo #22, and 2 2s gets me thinking...why not do 2 2s here for the content, as well? AKA...today makes for yet another Double Duo Day!

(You get the feeling I’m looking for any excuse to speed through these? Razz)

Seriously, though, these guys aren’t too exciting (though they’re the kind of cards every good culture needs), so more cards at once makes up for that. Or something. Rolling Eyes Enjoy!

2 Laketown Guard Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 5
Knight.
For each threat you can spot, this companion is strength +1 (limit +2).
While you have initiative, each time this companion wins a skirmish, you may exert him and another Gandalf Man companion to capture a minion in that skirmish.
“Their astonishment was enormous when Thorin Oakenshield stepped in through the door.”

This guy’s stats are nothing special, though as easily as Gandalf Men rack up threats, he’ll be 7 strength pretty often. That’s not bad at all. Put two of them together and you get a relatively easy way to capture minions, too. Kind of like mini-Captain of the Guards...intentionally so.

2 Laketown Archer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 6
To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
While bearing a ranged weapon, this companion is an archer.
Archery: Exert this companion twice and add a threat to make the fellowship archery total +1.
“A hail of dark arrows leaped up....”

And here we have a mini-Bard. You can see why it’s easy for the Gandalf culture to have lots of archers now. This guy is obviously better with the Bow of Yew, since all the Esgaroth Longbow does is make him an archer anyway. With the yew bow, you get a 7/3 archer that can exert twice to make for a grand total of +3 to the fellowship archery total in one pop. Not bad for only 3 twilight, eh? Granted, his ability is all but useless then, but it’s nice to have the ability to have him add to the archery total if you just can’t seem to draw a Bow of Yew and are really in a bind.

2 Laketown Spearman Gandalf
Companion • Man
While bearing a hand weapon, this companion is damage +1. If that weapon is a pike, this companion is also strength +1.
“So it was that Bard’s messengers found him now marching with many spearmen....”

The obvious question here, of course is "what’s a pike"? You’ll find out soon enough. Smile Jst know for now that’s a new unloaded keyword that several companions--and minions--can use to their advantage.

2 Laketown Warrior Gandalf
Companion • Man
Knight.
This companion is strength +1 for each wound on each minion he is skirmishing.
“...and beside them came the men of the Lake with long swords.”

A good all-around skirmisher, and probably your safest bet to throw in at the start of the game to beef up a Gandalf Man fellowship, and not bad for splashing into other fellowships, either. Give him a basic hand weapon (most Gandalf weapons give at least +2 strength) and he can really clean up against minions that your archers have peppered with arrows already.

More cards tomorrow. I’m hoping to have some new Third Age cards ready by then, too.

EDIT: Made a change to Laketown Archer based on SoP’s review.
EDIT 2: Made more changes to the Archer and Laketown Warrior based on AC’s review.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:28 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:13 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #22

2 Laketown Guard Gandalf
Companion • Man
Knight.
While you have initiative, each time this companion wins a skirmish, you may exert him and another Gandalf Man companion to capture a minion in that skirmish.
“Their astonishment was enormous when Thorin Oakenshield stepped in through the door.”
capture? i must have missed something, what does it do?

Companion • Man
Archery: Exert this companion twice and add a threat to make the fellowship archery total +1.
how about only exert once, it isn’t that great of an ability right now.

Companion • Man
While bearing a hand weapon, this companion is damage +1. If that weapon is a pike, this companion is also strength +1.
“So it was that Bard’s messengers found him now marching with many spearmen....”
weird I can’t wait to see pike.

Companion • Man
Knight.
This companion is strength +1 for each wound on each minion he is skirmishing (limit +3).
fine by me

More cards tomorrow. I’m hoping to have some new Third Age cards ready by then, too.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
capture? i must have missed something, what does it do?

Capturing and rescuing is explained in detail back in Duo #17. I’ll soon add it to the Lasting Alliances thread, too.

I wouldn’t mind another review or two of yesterday’s cards...kinda surprised I only got one hit. (Though it was your first in this thread, SoP, so have your GP.)

But for now, let’s move on to....

Dáin’s DC Duos #23

There’s still more Gandalf Men left...lots more. But let’s take a quick break from them and get into some of the cards that really make those Men a formidible force...their weapons!

We already covered all of the Gandalf ranged weapons, but there are several hand weapons that help them out, too. Here’s a couple. Enjoy!

1 Spear of the Lakemen Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Pike. Bearer must be a Gandalf Man.
While you can spot another Gandalf Man, bearer is strength +1 for each wounded minion in his or her skirmish.
“The next morning early a company of spearmen was seen crossing the river....”

So this answers yesterday’s question from the Laketown Spearman. Here is a pike. But why add a new unloaded keyword like this?

Spears, as you almost certainly know, are long shafts of wood or metal with a pointed end, designed to stab or slash with that point. A pike is a kind of spear designed mainly for defense: jamming the non-pointed end behind you or into the ground and having a charging enemy run themselves into the pointy end. They were featured quite a bit in The Lord of the Rings: Gondor, Rohan, Isengard, Mordor...characters from many regions and factions used them, mostly to halt charging cavalry.

So, my sets won’t be loaded with pikes, but there will be a few, and several characters and other cards that key off them. Many, like those of the Isengard culture, will be the utter bane of mounted opponents.

Now, back to this card. It is NOT the bane of mounted minions...has nothing to do with mounts, actually. But it is what I envision the majority of the Laketown spearmen carried...a very long, very easy-to-defend-with pike. The Lakemen used them more offensively than the typical pike, but a pike they most likely were anyway.

1 Esgaroth Spear Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man.
Archery: If bearer does not bear another weapon, exert him or her and discard this possession to make the fellowship archery total +2.
Skilled in the use of spears, the men of Laketown were also proficient in using them to pierce through foes from afar.

And here we have a more traditional "spear", able to be used as a hand-to-hand weapon or for throwing.

In terms of gameplay, both are very helpful. With the Spear of the Lakemen, a bearer starts out with only +1 strength, but can get a hefty strength bonus if they’re able to get assigned to a couple minions that have been softened up beforehand...like in the archery phase, perhaps? The Esgaroth Spear starts off with +2 by default, but has no way to grow. However, you can always choose to essentially turn it into some archery and soften up some minions for your buddy with a Spear of the Lakemen.

Okay, not sure what I’ll post tomorrow. We still have a lot of events and conditions (which I’ve barely touched on), and some more possessions, and more companions and allies as well. Hmmm. We’ll see. I can guarantee it’ll be SOMETHING for the Gandalf Men. We’ve got a ways to go!

EDIT: Change to Esgaroth Spear based on SoP’s review.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:52 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
[quote="DáinIronfoot"]
sickofpalantirs wrote:

But for now, let’s move on to....

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
While you can spot another Gandalf Man, bearer is strength +1 for each wounded minion in his or her skirmish.
fine by me. I like the pike keyword

1 Esgaroth Spear Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Archery: Discard this possession and add a threat to make the fellowship archery total +2.
Skilled in the use of spears, the men of Laketown were also proficient in using them to pierce through foes from afar.
i would say and exert bearer IMO instead of a thread.

ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:12 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Esgaroth Spear Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Archery: Discard this possession and add a threat to make the fellowship archery total +2.
i would say and exert bearer IMO instead of a thread.

Consider it done!

Thanks.

AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:39 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Laketown Guard Gandalf
Companion • Man
Knight.

Good.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Archery: Exert this companion and add a threat to make the fellowship archery total +1.

Wow, that’s a bit too good. I think he was balanced with 2 exertions.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Pretty good.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight.
This companion is strength +1 for each wound on each minion he is skirmishing (limit +3).

I’d drop the limit; it’s not often that he’ll be fighting someone with 4 wounds.

I’ll review more later.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:18 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1

Unless Gandalf Men get some easy defender bonuses, I must say I don’t really like this card. At best, most of the time it’ll be a +2 strength boost.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Esgaroth Spear Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Archery: Exert bearer and discard this possession to make the fellowship archery total +2.

I’d say only make the archery total +1. +2 is an awfully large amount of archery from just 1 spear.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:45 pm
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
I’d say only make the archery total +1. +2 is an awfully large amount of archery from just 1 spear.

I beg to disagree. Riddermark Javelin? Plus, this one costs an exert. I like it. Don’t change it.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:16 pm
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Archery: Exert this companion and add a threat to make the fellowship archery total +1.

Wow, that’s a bit too good. I think he was balanced with 2 exertions.

Okay, then. Back it goes!

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight.

I’d drop the limit; it’s not often that he’ll be fighting someone with 4 wounds.

Yeah, true enough. Okay...will do.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1

Unless Gandalf Men get some easy defender bonuses, I must say I don’t really like this card. At best, most of the time it’ll be a +2 strength boost.

There won’t be a ton of ways, no, but there will be a couple. Even just one bonus makes it strength +3, so the Spearman would be up to 9 strength, which could take down a couple smaller minions, especially with a simple skirmish event or something.

Do you recommend I do something else, though?

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Esgaroth Spear Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Archery: Exert bearer and discard this possession to make the fellowship archery total +2.

NBarden wrote:
I beg to disagree. Riddermark Javelin? Plus, this one costs an exert. I like it. Don’t change it.

Yeah, I had the Riddermark Javelin in mind when I did this. I figured the exertion made up for the extra archery. Sorry, AC, but I tend to side with NBarden on this one.

Thanks for the reviews, both of you. More cards real soon.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards