LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:35 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Oh yeah? Okay then. I think we can safely move on to....

Dáin’s DC Duos #19

I’ll hold off on posting more Gandalf knights until I get more feedback, especially from AC. But there’s plenty of other Lakemen cards to post that have nothing to do with knights. Behold, two MORE of Lake-town’s greatest heroes. Enjoy!

3Bard, The Bowman Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
Archer. Muster.
Archery: Exert Bard and add a threat to exert a minion; Bard does not add to the fellowship archery total. You may take the next archery action.
“‘I am Bard, of the line of Girion; I am the slayer of the dragon!’”

Like I said, only one man has the right to be called simply "The Bowman". Very Happy

This version of Bard can make for a tough choice: go with the skirmish-oriented Heir of Girion and his easy wounding, or spread out some wounds before the skirmishes ever start?

The Bowman is similiar to (and partially inspired by) Legolas, Greenleaf, who remains one of my favorite versions of the Fellowship’s famous Elf. Bard is not quite as good in one regard: whereas Legolas need only exert to wound, Bard has to exert and throw a threat onto the pile. However, Bard is also much better in one aspect: he allows you to immediately take the next archery action. So you can quick pop out two wounds (or more if you can find some way to beef up Bard’s vitality) before the Shadow player ever has a chance to react!

Also unlike Greenleaf, Bard has muster, giving him a little more bragging rights over Legolas.

And unlike Heir of Girion, The Bowman has no spotting requirements whatsoever, and that combined with his non-culture-specific gametext means he’s very easy to splash. Throw him and Greenleaf together and REALLY have some fun. Twisted Evil

2Corwin, Huntsman Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Ranger.
When you play Corwin, you may exert him and add 1 to play a Gandalf weapon on him from your draw deck.
While at a forest or river, Corwin is an archer.
Braving the dangers of Mirkwood, he ventured often into the dark woods for food and sport.

"Who?", you ask. No, Corwin is not from Tolkien’s works. He WAS in the game The Hobbit that was signed off on by the keeper of all things Tolkien, though.

But forget that. Doesn’t really matter, since he’s a nifty little companion regardless of origin. He’s the only Gandalf ranger I’ve made, so obviously he’s very unique. He’s also a heckuva warrior. Without too much trouble, you can throw a weapon on him as soon as he hits the table. He can also become an archer at a couple sites that are heavily featured in the Lasting Alliances sitepath, especially the last few sites. And much like The Bowman, no spotting requirements means easy splashing.

Basically, Corwin is a versatile little hero that can find a place in Gandalf Man-heavy decks or decks without another Gandalf Man anywhere in sight. He has nice abilities that fit well with Elves, other Men, and especially rangers.

Okay, PROBABLY not another Duo until tomorrow, so tune in then!

EDIT: Changed Bard’s text to wounding instead of exerting, as per mm’s suggestion.
EDIT: ...And back to my gut feeling of an exertion due to a second opinion. Sorry, mm.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:46 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
macheteman
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:52 pm
well, firt bard the bowman. legolas greenleaf is my favorite legolas, but bard has two great disadvantages. one (like you said) he can only exert a minion, the second, is you must add a threat and exert. that becomes very limiting as it is dependent on the number companions in your felowship, how many wounds bard has, and how many threats there are. so to be effective the deck must have a good healing and threat removal, and all these things must be in line to use the ability. so as it is i wouldn’t play it. some suggestions i have would be either remove the threat requirement, make it wound instead of exert, or some cost completely different.
the muster is excellent.

as for the second, great. ranger gives him access to pathfinder, and the weapon and archery abilities give him a true ranger feel.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:56 pm
macheteman wrote:
better than what? i didn’t think there was a bard card made. there is a brand...

DainIronfoot tweaked the original DC of Bard.
I had to put something here.
macheteman
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:58 pm
oh, gotcha. yes, i agree. sorry. Laughing
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:09 pm
mm, I changed Bard, The Bowman so that he now exerts. That look better to you (and everyone else)?

Dáin’s DC Duos #20

I’m going to go back to something I used to do on the Decipher boards: every time I hit a "0" (like 20, 30, 40, etc.), I’ll post extra cards! Kind of a Double Duo, if you will. Smile

So here we go: four new Gandalf cards, each a different type of card. Enjoy!

2Master of Laketown, Leader of Esgaroth Gandalf
Ally • Home 7 [LA] & 8 [LA] • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 2
Unhasty. To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
Any site 8 [LA] is a sanctuary.
Fellowship: Exert Master of Laketown to play a Gandalf ally from your draw deck.
“‘In the Lake-town we have always elected masters from among the old and wise....’”

I haven’t decided whether or not to have a companion version of the Master of Laketown. It doesn’t make a lot of sense for him to be one; he never leaves the comforts of his little town. But we’ll see.

That leaves us with an ally. But what an ally he is!

First let’s break down his fellowship ability. There are several Gandalf allies from way back in the day, but there’s also four Gandalf allies in Lasting Alliances with powerful abilities like card drawing and possession cycling.

But perhaps the best part, of course, is his ability to create a new sanctuary, right when you need it the most: at site 8! Now keep in mind a couple things, though. This ONLY works on the Lasting Alliances ([LA]) sitepath. And most [LA] site 9s are really, really nasty, with text like the following:

- When the fellowship moves here, exert every Dwarf. If you cannot spot three Dwarves, add 2 burdens.

- When the fellowship moves here, exert each unwounded companion and ally. If the Ring-bearer is unwounded, add a burden.

- Remove a threat to play Smaug from your draw deck or hand; Smaug’s twilight cost is -5.

- When the fellowship moves here, if you can spot a Gandalf Man and a Dwarf, add 2 threats. Otherwise add 3.

Still, is it balanced, or completely out of whack? You tell me.

4Laketown Bowmen Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 6
Archer. Defender +1.
To play, spot 3 Gandalf Men (or 2 Gandalf archers).
“But there was still a company of archers that held their ground among the burning houses.”

Not much to say here. The Lakemen version of Garrison of Gondor.

1Great Bow of Bard Gandalf
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be Bard.
Each time you play a Gandalf archery event, you may remove a threat.
“The flames were near him. His companions were leaving him. He bent his bow for the last time....”

As if Bard wasn’t good enough already. Twisted Evil

This is one of the few good ways the Gandalf Men have to get rid of threats, and makes Bard even more of a centerpiece than he already is. Obviously, it’s a perfect compliment to The Bowman and his threat adding. And don’t worry, the Gandalf Men have plenty of archery events to use this with. Be patient...we’ll get to them soon enough. Smile

1Black Arrow Gandalf
Possession • Arrow
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man archer.
Archery: Discard this possession to make the fellowship archery total +2.
Skirmish: Exert bearer and discard this possession to wound a minion (or wound a Dragon twice).
“‘You have never failed me and always I have recovered you.... If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!’”

Tough choice with this one: go for the easy two exertions in the archery phase, or hold on for a guaranteed wound or two later? Either way, you definately want to have this around in any Gandalf archery deck.

Tomorrow’s the Super Bowl, obviously, and between that and my ongoing master’s work, I may not have time to post another Duo. We’ll see.

EDIT: Minor tweak to the Master based on AC’s review.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:30 pm; edited 4 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:40 pm
Alright, you can keep ’em as Gandalf knights. I won’t complain, but I can’t say I’m endorsing the idea. Wink

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Bard, Heir of Girion Gandalf
Companion • Man
Archer. Knight. To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
Each time a Gandalf archer wins a skirmish, you may spot another Gandalf Man and exert either that Man or Bard to wound a minion in that skirmish.
“‘Bard is he, of the race of Dale, of the line of Girion; he is a grim man but true.’”

Better, but for simplicity’s sake I think you could change the ability to:

Each time a Gandalf archer wins a skirmish, you may exert a Gandalf Man to wound a minion in that skirmish.

Basically the same thing, and a lot less wordy.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Archer. Muster.
Archery: Exert Bard and add a threat to wound a minion; Bard does not add to the fellowship archery total. You may take the next archery action.

I’m going to go against the grain and say that it should stay as an exertion for the minion. He would just seem more balanced that way.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Corwin, Huntsman Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Ranger.
When you play Corwin, you may exert him and add 1 to play a Gandalf weapon on him from your draw deck.
While at a forest or river, Corwin is an archer.
Braving the dangers of Mirkwood, he ventured often into the dark woods for food and sport.

Cool.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Fellowship: Exert Master of Laketown to play a Gandalf ally from your draw deck.
“‘In the Lake-town we have always elected masters from among the old and wise....’”

Nice. I think it’s especially balanced since a lot of the time you’re going to want to run from site 7 to 9 (or 6 to 9), so you won’t always get the benefit of a 3rd sanctuary. If you do choose to stop at site 8, your opponent might be able to run to site 9 first.

You just might want to make him culturally enforced, though.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Laketown Bowmen Gandalf
Companion • Man
Archer. Defender +1.
“But there was still a company of archers that held their ground among the burning houses.”

I’d like him more if he had 3 vitality. I don’t think any non-unique Men have had 4 vitality yet (please correct me if I’m wrong).

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Great Bow of Bard Gandalf
Strength +1
Bearer must be Bard.
Each time you play a Gandalf archery event, you may remove a threat.
“The flames were near him. His companions were leaving him. He bent his bow for the last time....”

Awesome.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Black Arrow Gandalf
Possession • Arrow
Skirmish: Exert bearer and discard this possession to wound a minion (or wound a Dragon twice).
“‘You have never failed me and always I have recovered you.... If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!’”

Wow, great card. This would definitely be a staple in any Gandalf Men archery deck.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:44 pm
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Alright, you can keep ’em as Gandalf knights. I won’t complain, but I can’t say I’m endorsing the idea. Wink

Fair enough. We’ll agree to disagree then. I can live with that if you can. Smile

Thanks for getting back to me about that. I didn’t want to leave that hanging.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Bard, Heir of Girion Gandalf
Companion • Man
Archer. Knight. To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
Each time a Gandalf archer wins a skirmish, you may spot another Gandalf Man and exert either that Man or Bard to wound a minion in that skirmish.
“‘Bard is he, of the race of Dale, of the line of Girion; he is a grim man but true.’”

Better, but for simplicity’s sake I think you could change the ability to:

Each time a Gandalf archer wins a skirmish, you may exert a Gandalf Man to wound a minion in that skirmish.

Basically the same thing, and a lot less wordy.

Okay, I’ll do that.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Archer. Muster.
Archery: Exert Bard and add a threat to wound a minion; Bard does not add to the fellowship archery total. You may take the next archery action.

I’m going to go against the grain and say that it should stay as an exertion for the minion. He would just seem more balanced that way.

Heheh. Okay. I still like that better too, but I didn’t want to keep it if I was the only one. Back to an exertion, then.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Nice. I think it’s especially balanced since a lot of the time you’re going to want to run from site 7 to 9 (or 6 to 9), so you won’t always get the benefit of a 3rd sanctuary. If you do choose to stop at site 8, your opponent might be able to run to site 9 first.

You just might want to make him culturally enforced, though.

A good point that I didn’t even think about. And yes, I’ll make sure to add a spotting requirement or something.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Laketown Bowmen Gandalf
Companion • Man
Archer. Defender +1.

I’d like him more if he had 3 vitality. I don’t think any non-unique Men have had 4 vitality yet (please correct me if I’m wrong).

I am assuming that, following the example of Garrison of Gondor, I should then drop the cost to 3 too?

However, this IS unique. Does that make any difference? I’ll leave it unedited until I hear what you think.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Black Arrow Gandalf
Possession • Arrow

Wow, great card. This would definitely be a staple in any Gandalf Men archery deck.

Thanks! Just what I was going for.

Thanks for the review, AC.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:27 pm
Well I finally get a major project done for my class, so I have more time today than I thought I would. That means it’s time for...

Dáin’s DC Duos #21

And I’m so happy about being done with that project early, I’m going to post an extra card. Very Happy

More Gandalf archery today, something the Gandalf Men have plenty of. Yesterday we covered Bard’s bow, so today I thought we’d go into the other bows and an event that, collectively, show just what a potent force the Lakemen can be in the archery phase. Who needs skirmishes when you can dish out a lot of wounds two phases earlier? Razz Enjoy!

1 Esgaroth Longbow Gandalf
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion.
Bearer is an archer.
“Bows twanged and arrows whistled....”

Elven Bow, anyone? The Lakemen are clearly awesome archers in The Hobbit, so I figured they merited a weapon like this. Eat your hearts out, Elves!

1 Bow of Yew Gandalf
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man.
If bearer is an archer, he or she is strength +1.
Archery: Exert bearer and discard a Gandalf archery event from hand to make the fellowship archery total +1.
“Now he shot with a great yew bow....”

Clearly the weaker of the two bows...or is it? With enough Gandalf archery events in your deck, this can make the Esgaroth Longbow all but irrelevant. With this bow, you have to potential to dish out two or more archery wounds AND have a strength bonus to help mop up any minions left when the skirmishing begins.

Of course, who even needs lot of archery events when you have one like this:

1 So Fierce Was Its Flight Gandalf
Event • Archery
Spot a Gandalf archer and either discard an arrow or make the fellowship archery total -2 (to a minimum of 0) to wound a minion.
At the end of each archery phase during which this event was played or discarded, you may exert a Gandalf archer to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
“The black arrow sped straight from the string.... In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft and feather....”

At first glance, this event doesn’t have a whole lot going for it except that it’s relatively cheap for a guaranteed archery wound. Then you get to the last line...and realize that if you have a good way to heal Gandalf archers, this event keeps coming back over and over and over. You can have just one of these in your deck and STILL use it every turn. It’s more like a condition than an event...without the risk of being discarded by classic condition killers. And it’s non-unique, so you can play several at once, every turn, as long as you have enough archers to spread the exertions around. Easy enough with cards like the Esgaroth Longbow.

More tomorrow!

EDIT: Changes made to So Fierce Was Its Flight based on AC’s review.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

thonnas7
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:04 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #21

Bearer is an archer.

Archers. Smile

1 Bow of Yew Gandalf
Archery: Exert bearer and discard a Gandalf archery event from hand to make the fellowship archery total +1.

The archery ability is harsh, but I don’t see any way to change it. Good card. GP!

Event • Archery
Discard an arrow or make the fellowship archery total -2 to wound a minion.
At the end of each archery phase during which this event was played or discarded, you may exert a Gandalf Man archer to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
“The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft and feather....”

Are there going to be a lot of arrows?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:16 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Bearer is an archer.

Why only a companion, and not an ally? Think

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Bow of Yew Gandalf

Cool.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Archery
Discard an arrow or make the fellowship archery total -2 to wound a minion.
At the end of each archery phase during which this event was played or discarded, you may exert a Gandalf Man archer to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
“The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft and feather....”

Nice, although to follow the pattern of previous cards you need to add ’(to a minimum of 0)’ after the archery deduction. Also, it’d look better if you dropped the word ’Man’ after ’Gandalf’; I can’t find any way to make a non-Man Gandalf companion an archer.

Also, I just now realized that this isn’t culturally enforced. Whistle

Still, awesome cards!

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards