LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
thonnas7
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:03 pm
Yes, I’ve fallen prey to the catchy titles and the fun daily card groups. I’ve been watching them for a while, always wanting to do one, but never having the motivation to start one. Well, a sprained ankle, a week off of school and a boring life motivated me enough, so here it is. I’ll be posting 3 cards here every day.

These daily sets of cards will be from the set I am now officially starting as of now, called Betrayal of Isengard. It will focus mostly on the Battle of Helm’s Deep and the events surrounding it, as Rohan and the rest of the Free Peoples realize that Saruman has, in fact, double crossed them.

There are three new keywords that I will be using in this ’set’. They are:

Poison - (Each time this minion is assigned to a skirmish a companion, you may remove 3 to exert that companion.)[i]

True Shot - [i](Archery fire that is added to the free peoples/shadow archery total by this companions text are assigned by the free peoples/shadow player.)

Fury - Each time his character wins a skirmish, you may discard a possession that he/she bears to wound the losing character.)

I used these three in Celembrimbor’s first contest, if they look familiar. You will also be seeing a lot of new unloaded keywords.

Now, for the announcement on the cards I will be starting with.......we’ll shoot through the Elves first, who will in this set, focus on the True Shot ability, while bringing back the Naiths. There are 27 cards in the culture, so in 9 days the Elves will be complete.

2 •Haldir, Archer of the Golden Wood Elven
Companion • Elf
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
Archer. Naith.
While you can spot 3 archers, Haldir is strength +2.
Archery: Exert Haldir to exert a minion. He does not add to the fellowship archery total.
Common

Haldir has needed an archer version of him for a long time. Finally, we get it with this card, but with a nice side ability, choosing whether or not you go for the exertions and the choice of whether or not you choose where the archery fire goes.

2 A Veteran Band Elven
Event • Archery
Exert X Elves with True Shot to make the fellowship archery total +X (Limit +3). The free peoples player may choose to assign the archery wounds caused by this card.
Uncommon

These are the kind of cards that you’ll see working with the new True Shot ability. Just a taste, here.

1 Courage of the Defenders Elven
Condition
Strength: +1
Bearer must be a Naith.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to make bearer strength +1.
Rare

This card will be the gamebreaker for the Naiths, as they continue their fighting strategies of old. While bearing more than one gives a pump, the skirmish ability won’t be that useful if a Naith bears more than one.
Last edited by thonnas7 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
thonnas7 wrote:
Yes, I’ve fallen prey to the catchy titles and the fun daily card groups. I’ve been watching them for a while, always wanting to do one, but never having the motivation to start one. Well, a sprained ankle, a week off of school and a boring life motivated me enough, so here it is. I’ll be posting 3 cards here every day.

Heheh. I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I remember back in the old Decipher board, the Duos spawned AC’s DCs and various other duos and trios (I think one was even called "Nachos" Laughing). Got almost out of control for a little while there.

Ah, the good old days. Anyway....

thonnas7 wrote:
Poison - (Each time this minion is assigned to a skirmish a companion, you may remove 3 to exert that companion.)

Interesting. Seems balanced enough.

thonnas7 wrote:
True Shot - (Archery fire that is added to the free peoples/shadow archery total by this companions text are assigned by the free peoples/shadow player.)

Wait...let me make sure I understand this....

I have Legolas, an archer with True Shot. When the archery wound from his archer is assigned, I get to assign it instead of the Shadow player? If so, that’s pretty freaking cool.

thonnas7 wrote:
Fury - Each time his character wins a skirmish, you may discard a possession that he/she bears to wound the losing character.)

Nifty. Kinda like when Lurtz threw his shield at Aragorn.

Now, to some actual cards....

thonnas7 wrote:
4 •Haldir, Archer of the Golden Wood Elven
Companion • Elf
Resistance: 5
Archer. Naith.
Archery: Exert Haldir to exert a minion. He does not add to the fellowship archery total.
Common

Haldir has needed an archer version of him for a long time. Finally, we get it with this card, but with a nice side ability, choosing whether or not you go for the exertions and the choice of whether or not you choose where the archery fire goes.

Well, technically Haldir, Sentry of the Golden Wood can be an archer, but I understand what you mean.

Looks good, overall...reminds me a lot of Legolas, Greenleaf. My only complaint is: why does he cost so much? He should be 2 to match other versions. 4 is...well, prohibitive, at the very least. Also, why is his resistence only 5 when Sentry of the Golden Wood is 6? I guess I can understand if you were trying to weaken something a little to offset his nice archery skillz. It’s balanced, but I’m just curious why you made the change.

thonnas7 wrote:
1 A Veteran Band Elven
Event • Archery
Exert X Elves with True Shot to make the fellowship archery total +X. The free peoples player may choose to assign the archery wounds caused by this card.
Uncommon

These are the kind of cards that you’ll see working with the new True Shot ability. Just a taste, here.

It’s pretty powerful, essentially giving them all a second True Shot. Maybe make it cost 2? I dunno. The exertions might balance it out...barely.

thonnas7 wrote:
0 Courage of the Defenders Elven
Condition
Bearer must be a Naith.
Rare

This card will be the gamebreaker for the Naiths, as they continue their fighting strategies of old. While bearing more than one gives a pump, the skirmish ability won’t be that useful if a Naith bears more than one.

I’d make it cost 1. Otherwise there’s little reason to use most Elven hand weapons--which all cost at least 1--like Elven Blade, Blade of Lindon, and Sword of the Fallen.

Nice ideas. Just a little tweaking needed, in my humble opinion.

Look forward to more!
thonnas7
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:56 pm
Quote:
Heheh. I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I remember back in the old Decipher board, the Duos spawned AC’s DCs and various other duos and trios (I think one was even called "Nachos" Laughing). Got almost out of control for a little while there.

Ah, the good old days. Anyway....

I remember the Nachos. Laughing

Quote:
Wait...let me make sure I understand this....

I have Legolas, an archer with True Shot. When the archery wound from his archer is assigned, I get to assign it instead of the Shadow player? If so, that’s pretty freaking cool.

You understood correct.
Quote:

Well, technically Haldir, Sentry of the Golden Wood can be an archer, but I understand what you mean.

Looks good, overall...reminds me a lot of Legolas, Greenleaf. My only complaint is: why does he cost so much? He should be 2 to match other versions. 4 is...well, prohibitive, at the very least. Also, why is his resistence only 5 when Sentry of the Golden Wood is 6? I guess I can understand if you were trying to weaken something a little to offset his nice archery skillz. It’s balanced, but I’m just curious why you made the change.

Just some basic typos. He’s supposed to be 2. Also, I haven’t bought any cards since Black Rider, so I hadn’t seen the new Haldir and his resistance. I set it at 6.

Quote:
It’s pretty powerful, essentially giving them all a second True Shot. Maybe make it cost 2? I dunno. The exertions might balance it out...barely.

I was considering that myself. Seeing that you’re thinking along the same lines, I’ll bump it up to 2.

Quote:
I’d make it cost 1. Otherwise there’s little reason to use most Elven hand weapons--which all cost at least 1--like Elven Blade, Blade of Lindon, and Sword of the Fallen.

That’s a really good point that I failed to see. Thanks. Smile
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:07 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
I remember back in the old Decipher board, the Duos spawned AC’s DCs

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.

Let me check...

Yep! I was right! Here is your first DC Duo. Notice what you say at the top:

Dain_Ironfoot wrote:
AC had a good idea: posting a pair of cards each day. I’m not going to do that, but the idea HAS inspired me to make more frequent posts with pairs of my own DCs rather than spread-out long posts of DCs.

I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Wink

I’ll review your cards in a bit, Thonnas.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:44 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
[quote="thonnas7"

2 •Haldir, Archer of the Golden Wood Elven
Companion • Elf
Archer. Naith.
Common

I loved the keywords so, common seems a little low on the rarity level I would say U at least.

2 A Veteran Band Elven
Event • Archery
Exert X Elves with True Shot to make the fellowship archery total +X. The free peoples player may choose to assign the archery wounds caused by this card.
Uncommon
possible give it a limit. say you exert 3 elves that is 6 directed archery to be used however they like, now that is essentially what TutB does(kills a minion of your choice, but any more would be borderline broken, so IMO make it limit 3

1 Courage of the Defenders Elven
Condition
Bearer must be a Naith.
Rare

This card will be the gamebreaker for the Naiths, as they continue their fighting strategies of old. While bearing more than one gives a pump, the skirmish ability won’t be that useful if a Naith bears more than one.[/quote]
I would still say limit 1 per bearer, otherwise say you are making an 8 strength naith, you give him a NL, a SotF, and 4 of these, 14 strength elf plus pumps and wounds on the minion. but it is your choice.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
thonnas7
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:55 pm
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
- AC

I sense a diss. Also, SoP, I’ll look over your reviews in a bit and change the cards.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
I remember back in the old Decipher board, the Duos spawned AC’s DCs

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.

Let me check...

Yep! I was right! Here is your first DC Duo. Notice what you say at the top:

Dain_Ironfoot wrote:
AC had a good idea: posting a pair of cards each day. I’m not going to do that, but the idea HAS inspired me to make more frequent posts with pairs of my own DCs rather than spread-out long posts of DCs.

Doh!

Stupid brain! It’s all your fault!

My bad, AC. I bow to thee.
menace64
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:47 am
Oh, I’ve got you all trumped!

*I* was the first one to run a LotR TCG DC contest on the old, old Decipher boards. Wink

But to keep things moderately on topic:

There’s an extra word in your Poison ability, thonnas. I’ll let you find it. Mr. Green
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
thonnas7
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:53 pm
Yeah, yeah...I found it. Embarassed

Laughing Also, SoP, I made some changes of your suggestions. I’ll post Set #2 in a little bit.
thonnas7
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Alright, T7’s Triples #2 is a little later in the day, due to the fact that I was cleaning out some old PC games and found Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis....yeah, won’t happen every day. Very Happy Right into them then...

1 Armor of the Golden Wood Elven
Possession • Armor
Resistance: +1
Bearer must be a Naith.
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, discard 2 cards from hand to prevent that wound.
Common

0 Strike From Horseback Elven
Event • Archery
Exert your Elven archer with True Shot to exert a minion (or wound that minion twice if your Elven archer is mounted).
Common

2 •Thandronen, Leader of Elves Elven
Companion • Elf
Naith.
While bearing a ranged weapon, Thandronen is strength +1 and the minion archery total is -1.
Uncommon
Last edited by thonnas7 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards