LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, we’re done with Thorin’s Company for now, so let’s move on to something else for a while. I ended Duo #7 with the Lasting Alliances version of Gandalf, so let’s focus on him and his fellow wizards for a while, shall we?

Dáin’s DC Duos #8

Yes, I did say Wizards. Though neither is actually seen in The Hobbit, both Saruman and Radagast are prominently mentioned and have an impact on Gandalf’s journey; Radagast indirectly helps Beorn trust Gandalf and the Dwarves, and in the background, Saruman (or should I say Curunír) finally agrees to let Gandalf lead the charge against Sauron at Dol Guldur. So I thought they both deserved a spot in Lasting Alliances. Enjoy!

4Curunír, Head of the White Council Gandalf
Ally • Home 3 [LA] • Wizard
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Signet: Elrond
At the end of each shadow phase, if you can spot Saruman, add 4 or discard Curunír.
Each other Wizard’s twilight cost is -2.
At the start of each maneuver phase, you may exert Curunír and add either a threat or a burden to draw a card for each Wizard you can spot.
“...Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic....”

Making a FP version of Saruman proved to be no easy task. My first decision was whether to make him a companion, ally, or even a follower. I figured a companion didn’t quite make sense, since he never seems to leave Isengard. A follower wouldn’t give me a ton of flexibility. So an ally won out.

After that, I had to tackle the problem of making a FP version work when there were so many prominent minion versions of the same character. I originally had text along the lines of "Saruman may not be played", but in the end I decided that it would work better like Gollum/Sméagol, where they can coexist as two different "sides" of the character. In Gollum’s case it’s quite literally two different personalities in the same body, almost acting independantly at times. In the case of Saruman it’s a little more dicey, but since he shows one side to the world while living a "double life" up until Fellowship of the Ring, I figured following the Gollum/Sméagol blueprint would be okay. However, I didn’t want it to be TOO easy, so I added the serious penalty that comes when a Shadow player decides to play Curunír’s "dark side", Saruman: they basically get to play him for free. Too harsh, do you think?

As long as Saruman doesn’t interfere, Curunír is a very nice ally to have. If he hits the table as the first Wizard, you can play Gandalf AND Radagast for the price of just one. And then the real fun begins, as Curunír can turn into a card-drawing machine. For a simple exertion (which is nothing for this 4-vitality ally) and a threat or burden, you can draw up to three extra cards every turn. Not too shabby at all, eh?

Oh yeah, I know it’s unusual for an ally to have a signet, but I figured it fit nicely in this case. Now, of course, you’re wondering: Elrond? There’ll be more of those. Thorin and Elrond are the two new signets in my sets, but don’t worry, they’re the only ones. I didn’t go TOO crazy. Razz

4Radagast, Gandalf’s Cousin Green
Companion • Wizard
Strength: 7
Resistance: 7
Radagast is strength +1 for each Tree, Eagle, and Free Peoples mount you can spot (limit +3).
Fellowship: Exert Radagast and discard a card from hand to heal an Eagle, Tree, or Ent.
“‘...not a bad fellow as wizards go, I believe.’”

After sweating over Curunír, Radagast was easy. The only real debate I had was what culture to put him in: Gandalf or my new [Mirkwood] culture. In the end, I settled on Mirkwood, which is represented here (and from this point forward) by that little Green)...at least until I can find a better icon. Razz

Radagast does about what you’d expect, working with the animals of Middle-Earth. He can quickly become a powerful fighter, and provides awesome support to those Ent/Tree fellowships that have cropped up (no pun intended). Beyond that he’s kinda dull, so you likely won’t see him splashed into, say, a fellowship full of Dwarves. But there are TWO more versions of the brown wizard in my sets, so there may be some other fellowships for Radagast yet.

But that’s for another time. For now, we’ll stick to Gandalf and his "cousins" in Lasting Alliances, continuing throughout the week with some possessions and spells. Stay tuned!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:40 pm; edited 9 times in total
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, we’re done with Thorin’s Company for now, so let’s move on to something else for a while. I ended Duo #7 with the Lasting Alliances version of Gandalf, so let’s focus on him and his fellow wizards for a while, shall we?

Dáin’s DC Duos #8

Yes, I did say Wizards. Though neither is actually seen in The Hobbit, both Saruman and Radagast are prominently mentioned and have an impact on Gandalf’s journey; Radagast indirectly helps Beorn trust Gandalf and the Dwarves, and in the background, Saruman (or should I say Curunír) finally agrees to let Gandalf lead the charge against Sauron at Dol Guldur. So I thought they both deserved a spot in Lasting Alliances. Enjoy!

At the end of each shadow phase, if you can spot Saruman, add 4 or discard Curunír.
At the start of each maneuver phase, you may exert Curunír and add either a threat or a burden to draw a card for each Wizard you can spot.
“...Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic....”
the gandalf signet might be a better choice how can you play them for only one? reduce the saruman penalty to 2 or 3 IMO

Companion • Wizard
Radagast is strength +1 for each Tree, Eagle, and Free Peoples mount you can spot (limit +3).
Fellowship: Exert Radagast and discard a card from hand to heal an Eagle, Tree, or Ent.
he is has a potential to get very large. its fine.

But that’s for another time. For now, we’ll stick to Gandalf and his "cousins" in Lasting Alliances, continuing throughout the week with some possessions and spells. Stay tuned!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

the gandalf signet might be a better choice how can you play them for only one? reduce the saruman penalty to 2 or 3 IMO

I understand why the Gandalf signet might be better, but I opted for Elrond due to the stronger connection to the Council.

You can’t play them for just 1...sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was you can play both Gandalf and Radagast for the same cost, 4, as you would normally have to pay to play just one of them. Clearer now?

I’ll reduce the "Saruman penalty" (good way of putting it!) to 3, pending any other reviews saying it should go as low as 2.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Wizard

he is has a potential to get very large. its fine.

Okay, cool.

Thanks for the comments, SoP. Since this is another new thread of Duos, you get a fresh GP for reviewing. Very Happy
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:04 pm
Quote:

I like it. However, you did say that the first ability is so that Saruman can be played basically for free - just keep in mind that the twilight would be added at the end of the Shadow phase, where it won’t be as useful.

Also, his twilight reduction for the Wizards applies to Saruman, so it probably evens out.

Wait, one more thing: are allies supposed to have signets?
Quote:
Companion • Wizard

Very cool, but I’m tempted to say that you should discard 2 cards with his fellowship ability. Also, why the sudden change from a signet-character to a character with resistance?

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 pm
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Quote:

I like it. However, you did say that the first ability is so that Saruman can be played basically for free - just keep in mind that the twilight would be added at the end of the Shadow phase, where it won’t be as useful.

True enough. But it’s still a hefty price to pay.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Also, his twilight reduction for the Wizards applies to Saruman, so it probably evens out.

Good point.

Gameplay question: would his maneuver ability be able to spot Saruman? Can cards that are played on "a Wizard", like a staff, be played on a FP or Shadow Wizard? Never been quite sure about that....

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Wait, one more thing: are allies supposed to have signets?

Not normally, no, but I don’t see why they can’t.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Quote:
Companion • Wizard

Very cool, but I’m tempted to say that you should discard 2 cards with his fellowship ability. Also, why the sudden change from a signet-character to a character with resistance?

Tempted to say or actually saying? Razz

About signets and resistance: my sets have some of both. It’s mostly old-school, yes, with old site path rules and signets and old cultures and such, but I realize that this is a post-Shadows world, and I don’t want to completely ignore that, either. So while most characters have signets, some just have resistance. (Sometimes even different versions of the same character will go back-and-forth.) While Shadow cultures like Sauron, Raider, and Moria are prominent, there’s a bit of Orc and Men, too. My sets are kind of a bridge between the pre-Shadows days and now. At least, that’s what I’m hoping to accomplish. Time will tell, I suppose.

Thanks for the review. Have a GP!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 am
Dáin’s DC Duos #9

As promised, here’s a couple Wizard possessions from Lasting Alliances, and we’re going old-school...with pipes. Enjoy!

1Gandalf’s Pipe, Toy of Fire and Smoke Gandalf
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Fellowship: Discard a pipeweed possession to remove 2 or to discard a Shadow condition borne by a character bearing a pipe.
“‘You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within.’”

1Curunír’s Pipe Gandalf
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be a Wizard. When played on Curunír, the twilight cost of Curunír’s Pipe is -1.
Fellowship: Discard a pipeweed possession and spot X pipes to reveal X cards from an opponent’s hand.
“Now truth to tell, observing Gandalf’s love of the herb that he called ‘pipe-weed’...Saruman had affected to scoff at it, but in private he made trial of it, and soon began to use it....”

Since Curunír’s whole theme is about card drawing and revealing, I figured the fellowship ability worked out nicely. What do YOU think?

More stuff tomorrow!

EDIT: Changes made based on EL’s and AC’s comments.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:03 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #9

As promised, here’s a couple Wizard possessions from Lasting Alliances, and we’re going old-school...with pipes. Enjoy!

Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Fellowship: Discard a pipeweed possession to remove 2 or to discard a Shadow condition from a character bearing a pipe.
I like it. A traditional pipe-like ability, but slightly better than the old ones.

1Curunír’s Pipe Gandalf
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be a Wizard companion or Wizard ally. If bearer is Curunír, the twilight cost of Curunír’s Pipe is -1.
Fellowship: Discard a pipeweed possession and spot X pipes to reveal X cards from an opponent’s hand.
“Now truth to tell, observing Gandalf’s love of the herb that he called ‘pipe-weed’...Saruman had affected to scoff at it, but in private he made trial of it, and soon began to use it....”
You could just say, "Bearer must be a wizard." Allies can normally bear possessions. You just can’t replay them between companions and allies. The fellowship ability is cool, but I doubt I’d use it in comparision to something like that Gandalf’s Pipe, Toy of Fire and Smoke.

I know allies normally can’t have possessions, but I figured that since Curunír is not your standard ally, I could make an exception here, too. Smile (Do I need to say "Wizard" twice, though? Can I just say "Wizard companion or ally" instead?) Since Curunír’s whole theme is about card drawing and revealing, I figured the fellowship ability worked out nicely. What do YOU think?

More stuff tomorrow!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:20 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Fellowship: Discard a pipeweed possession to remove 2 or to discard a Shadow condition from a character bearing a pipe.

Awesome, although I think you should say ’discard a Shadow borne by a character...’.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Curunír’s Pipe Gandalf
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be a Wizard companion or Wizard ally. If bearer is Curunír, the twilight cost of Curunír’s Pipe is -1.

Like EL said, allies can bear possessions. The only thing I would change would be the wording of the twilight reduction to this: ’When played on Curunír, the twilight cost of Curunír’s Pipe is -1.’.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:21 pm
elf lvr wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Curunír’s Pipe Gandalf
Possession • Pipe

You could just say, "Bearer must be a wizard." Allies can normally bear possessions. You just can’t replay them between companions and allies. The fellowship ability is cool, but I doubt I’d use it in comparision to something like that Gandalf’s Pipe, Toy of Fire and Smoke.

Really? Huh. And here I thought they couldn’t bear possessions. I’ll change it then.

I know it’s not quite as useful as some other pipes, but it still has its usefulness, especially with Curunír. After all, there’s no reason you can’t have Gandalf with his own pipe and another Wizard with this one, right? Throw in enough pipeweed and you can choose which ability is better for which situation.

Thanks for the review. Check your GP counter. Smile

EDIT: Just saw your comments too, AC. I’ll make appropriate changes. Thanks!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 pm
Dáin’s DC Duos #10

I don’t think I’ve ever done two Duos on the same day before, but I see no reason I can’t start now. We’ve got a pretty lively crowd today, so why not? Smile

Here’s two MORE Gandalf possessions from Lasting Alliances. Enjoy!

2 Staff of the White Council Gandalf
Artifact • Staff
Strength +1
Bearer must be a Wizard.
Bearer gains muster.
Each time a spell is played, you may exert bearer to add or remove 1.
“‘Halt!’ he called in a voice like thunder, and his staff blazed forth with a flash like the lightning.”

Technically it’s not a possession, I know. Razz

I thought about throwing another version of Gandalf’s Staff into Lasting Alliances but decided to hold off for one of the later sets. Instead, I decided to have a generic staff that any of the three Wizards from the set could bear. Sure, it’s a little powerful, but so is the "Exert bearer twice to make a minion strength -3" of the regular old Wizard Staff. What do you think, though? Is it so powerful it overshadows the old generic staff?

1Gandalf’s Cloak Gandalf
Possession • Cloak
Bearer must be a Wizard.
Bearer may not have his strength or vitality reduced by weather conditions.
Maneuver: If bearer is Gandalf, exert him and discard this possession to take a Gandalf event into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.
“The old man with the casket threw aside his hood and cloak. ‘Here is Gandalf! And none too soon it seems.’”

Ah, another cloak. I always wondered why Decipher never made a card based on Gandalf the Grey’s cloak, and it’s prominence in the scene from the lore seemed to make Lasting Alliances a perfect time to bring it into the game. Not much to say other than that...it kinda speaks for itself. The only comment I have is that the Gandalf culture consists of a lot of Men in my sets, and considering Gandalf was with the men of Dale when the lore’s scene took place, even THAT fits...taking their events into hand. *shrug* Just something nifty I realized as I was making it.

And its maneuver ability also sets up all those Gandalf spells nicely. Smile We’ll start those tomorrow, and I really mean "tomorrow" this time. Honest. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Tweaked the cloak based on comments.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards