LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Orkish Marauder?

5 (best)  
11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

1 (worst)  
22%
  [ 2 ]  22%

Total Votes : 9
Cobra
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:04 pm
Sorry if this throws anybody off, but I refuse to type "Maurader." Seriously Decipher, you’re turning a lot of players off for the stupidest reason imaginable... Evil or Very Mad Shame on you

There, now I’m off my soapbox about idiots who can’t be bothered to do a spell check before sending their product to the printers. (Ok, NOW I’m off it. Laughing) I’m afraid the card itself isn’t too appealing either. First of all, conditions should be on the table, not in your discard pile! However, the Orc Orcs do have several good conditions (see Retribution) that are designed to hit the discard pile at some point, so I won’t dismiss this card quite so easily.

Instead, I’ll dismiss it by saying that you can have up to five conditions in the discard pile, and this will still be an unplayable card. With five discarded conditions, Orkish Marauder is an 11/2 Orc for 4 twilight, which is strictly worse than other options available. (See Emboldened Orc, Orc Strategist, Black Land Overlord, Veteran War Chief...) You’d need six discarded conditions for the Marauder to be playable, and I’d say at least eight for him to be good.

A card that needs to burn eight other cards just to be "good" is a bad card. Next! Mr. Green
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
macheteman
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:08 pm
yeah, but with all the freeps condition hate, especially in the gandalf culture, if you loose all your conditions, you end up with quite a powerful minion.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm
Ugh, he’s a worse version of Orc Butcher. Confused

He’s got the potential to be big, but it’s really not worth the effort, because even with, say, 12 conditions discarded (which could be possible very late in the game), he’s just a 16 strength minion with low vitality and nothing else. I can’t really see how many decks could ever be afraid of him.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Cobra
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:33 pm
18 strength, actually.

But yes, I agree completely. Even if everything goes right for the Orkish Marauder, he’s still an easy target for archery, and if he does skirmish it will probably just be one wound.

Although it would have been off-culture, I think Decipher could have safely added fierce or damage +1 to this minion. He’d still be junk in the early game, which would keep the card balanced, but he’d have enough potential later on that condition-heavy Orc decks would find a use for him.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:52 pm
Okay, with condition heavy Orc cultures, this minion could make the freeps think before burning Orc conditions. Great condition protection.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:36 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NBarden wrote:
Okay, with condition heavy Orc cultures, this minion could make the freeps think before burning Orc conditions. Great condition protection.

That’s the ONLY positive I can think of too, and it’s not a great one. I guess it couldn’t hurt to throw a few in if you have lots of twilight to play with, but it’s really not worth it 99 times out of 100. I gave it a 2, and I think that’s being generous.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
he’s worthless and the pic is kinda weird, why not focus in on an orc. this would be better for a possession or condition pic. If he was only 3 cost he could be useful, but 4?
I’ll pass thank you.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Cobra
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:05 pm
NBarden wrote:

Personally I wouldn’t think twice!

I wouldn’t consider this card the least bit scary until you had at least 10-12 conditions in the discard pile. So it’s safe to say that we’re looking at the last couple of sites, at which point the Orkish Marauder is too little, too late. Or perhaps your Shadow deck consists mostly of condition cards, in which case I’d venture to say that it’s a bad matchup against Fellowships that like burning conditions.

The "you" above is hypothetical, of course. Wink

I actually really like the idea behind this card, more or less for the reason NBarden mentioned. But the game text would need to be attached to a decent minion (better stats, lower cost, or both) to be playable.
Last edited by Cobra on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in totalhttp://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
macheteman
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:11 pm
oh man, i thought it was 2 twilight. ouch that’s terrible.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
NBarden
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:12 pm
Consider the strongest 4 Orc minion, Hill Orc. In order to be as strong as he is, you need 6 conditions in the discard pile, and FP condition burning would actually help. Now, there are minions with 4 that are only 8 strength (Watchful Orc) and 9 strength (Black Land Runner). In order to be equal to these minions, you need 2-3 conditions in your discard pile, which is easy.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion