LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Spirit of the White Tree?

5 (best)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
Cobra
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Any somewhat experienced LOTR TCG player should recognize the game text of Faramir, Son of Denethor and know its power. No Shadow skirmish pumps, no exert-to-wound abilities, no surprises of any kind -- this game text is a great tool against the new Orc Warg-riding decktype, and is at least moderately useful in almost any matchup. Put Spirit of the White Tree on the Ring-bearer, and you can let him skirmish without worrying. Just remember to resolve the RB’s skirmish first to avoid those tricky "until regroup phase" Shadow events!

Ninja Gollum builds (whether old, with They Stole it, or new, with Not This Time) will be hit especially hard by this card, as it can potentially take their entire strategy away. A single Faramir isn’t a major threat thanks to Shelob’s assignment manipulation, but Gollum will be in trouble when two or more companions have the same ability.

Spirit of the White Tree’s major flaw is how easily it can be removed. Just about any sort of condition removal will do the trick, and so will anything that adds a burden. That gives Ninja Gollum and other Shadows that are really hurt by this card a fairly easy way out. Still, any card that costs 1 twilight and can force opponents to change their decks (or at least their tactics) must be a pretty good choice.
Last edited by Cobra on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in totalhttp://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:37 pm
Awesome card!

Any deck that doesn’t add burdens can be hurt by this card... and even some burdening decks can’t hurt it as much, since some of their abilities are for the skirmish phase.

If you’re running multiple copies of this against a burdening deck, just be sure not to play them all at once, since one burden will wipe them all out.

Definitely going in a deck or two of mine!

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
corvus
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:48 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Great card! Use this on an Isildur-Ent deck along with a footman’s armor, and you’re surely saved until site 9 concering skirmishes!
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:27 pm
Footman’s armor? How about Coat of Mail?

Awesome card! Southron amubsh, dead. Unfortunately, that means anyone playing my Southron deck would have the upper hand. But seriously, I think Southrons will be killed by this card. Oh, and the old Isengard warg riders? Well...now you can use your special abilities against them, cause they can’t exert to cancel them Twisted Evil.

This will definitely make it into my deck.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:32 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I don’t quite get the pic, I think they should have the one with Denethor lamenting and then you see a single blossom on the white tree. But this is a great card. a nice combo would be with Sam, Samwise the brave, though you would need Frodo too.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
bibfortuna25
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:19 pm
NBarden wrote:
Footman’s armor? How about Coat of Mail?

Because most people play Standard decks, and thus Coat of Mail cannot be used.
All cards do what they say.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:14 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
You know, I like this card. Even if it is basically useless against burden-adding shadows. However...it just made Bill Ferny a heck of a lot harder to pull off. No more skirmish pumps for Ferny! And with Throne of Minas Tirith, he doesn’t have those nice possessions to pump himself up any more...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:17 pm
Seriously, they should never have even made ferny if they’re going to have to make sooooo many cards to counter him like this.

I only hate this card because I run Ninja Gollum and Ferny. Ha...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:21 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Not Yet Vanquished + Shelob should kill this card if you run NG.

I agree that Ferny was a mistake. Too powerful, with the promise of an auto-win...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 pm
elf lvr wrote:
Seriously, they should never have even made ferny if they’re going to have to make sooooo many cards to counter him like this.

Nice strength +4 pump, even against a guy bearing Spirit of the White Tree.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion