LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
alatar
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:21 am
G’day, I’m new to the forum, and also to the card game. Long post, so hold on to your hats....

I’ve inherited 20-30,000 cards from every set and am now looking to build some crazy decks from every culture to get a feel for the game. I know that there are tons of great decks posted on CC, and on decktech, and on Decipher, but frankly, there are too many. I hear people referring to a Forest Nazgul deck, or a Moria Swarm, or a Solo Smeagol, or an Elven Archery... you get the point. What I want to know, if anyone would oblige, is the defining decks for each culture. Not hundreds of random, fun ones. The 2 or 3 most competitive for each culture. For example, if you listed (’Gollum’) you might say Eater of Light Deck and Ninja Gollum (btw I really don’t know if these two are classic, I’m just conjecturing). Once I have a complete list of the best 2 or 3 decks by culture (both shadow and freep), I can then search for particularly popular decks of those strategies.

I know this is a big request and a huge thanks to whoever can help me out. I have a passion for all thinks Tolkien and can tell I’m going to love this game, but I have too many cards to be bothered thinking about all original decks to start out with. I’d love to see what makes a deck great, successful, and defining. I’m also not afraid of advanced decks- I have played a lot of CCGs in the past.

Cheers guys,
Alatar
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
All right, here goes...

Gondor
Ithilien Blade
Noble Leaders
(Yes, those are decks. They’re based around the cards)

Gollum-Free Peoples
Solo Smeagol
+ Shire --> Frodo, Sam, Smeagol

Gollum-Shadow
Ninja Gollum
Shelob, Eater of Light

Sauron
Discarding (paired with Dwarven on the Freeps)
Grind

Orc
Corruption
Lurker Swarm

Men
Archery
Bill Ferny

Shire
Daddy Twofoot

Gandalf
Ents

Wraith
Forest Nazgul (Lost in the Woods)
Corruption

Moria
Swarm

Dunland
Site Control beatdown

There’s plenty more...that’s just scratching the surface.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:10 am
If you don’t use all those cards, I’ll take ’em! Very Happy

First of all, not all of the decks of each culture are completely that culture. For example, the most competitive Rohan deck is called "the run", and uses cards from the Rohan and Gandalf culture. Well...I’ll start with giving you a narrative of "the run."

"The run" is a Rohan deck type that focuses on increasing the move limit and rushing to site nine. In examining a run strategy, I reccomend Macheteman’s strategy article, Ride! Mount up and ride! However, this particular version of the run is for people very familiar with the game, and should thus not be used until you are very familiar with how LotR works.

A basic run deck revolves around four copies of Riding like the wind. Your two starting companions are.

Theoden, The Renowned
Theodred, Second Marshal of the Mark

This off the bat makes the move limit +1. Theodred’s text also allows you to start him with Theoden.

Now, for other cards

This card is a must for any run deck. And with it, you need mounts for each of your companions. Snowmane, Noble Mearas, and a simple rider’s mount is good enough for these two.

Now, the run is very susceptible to being swarmed very easily. So, in order to utilize Theoden’s defender +1 text, you need a copy of Eowyn, and Eomer for his damage +1.

Eowyn, Restless Warrior is a good card for any run with tokens, as it allows you to reinforce tokens each time you move. Give her Windfola

As for the Eomer, well, Third Marshal of Cheatermark is a must for any Rohan deck. (Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark.)

Then, you need to make him defender +1. Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark is the ideal mount for him, as it utilize those tokens Eowyn throws out.

Now you splash in Radagast, the Brown with Radagast’s Staff to make the move limit even larger. And of course, a mount for him, Brego.

And then, of course Rohirrim Army is critical for getting rid of those big minions. And a Rider’s Mount for him.

Okay, now you need a Ring-bearer. Boromir, Bearer of Council is a good ring-bearer, as he allows you to get Seeing Stone of Orthanc into play, and on him slap the One Ring, The Ring of Rings. He needs a mount, so give him a Horse of Rohan.

Then of course, your basic pumps. Hamstrung is good, because its text will activate almost every time. We left none alive will sometimes activate because of the texts on your mounts, but if not, toss the tokens to use Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark, or Snowmane, Noble Mearas (notice that once you use it on Snowmane, you can use the tokens as pumps for Theoden.) King’s Board is also a good pump.

Now for possessions. Everyone needs a Spear of the Mark, to stop swarms. also, 4 copies of Riddermark Javelin not only provide a strength bonus, but can be ditched to increase the fellowship archery.

So, there it is! The basic run.

Ring-Bearer
Boromir, Bearer of Council
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Starting Fellowship:
Theoden, The Renowned
Theodred, Second Marshal of the Mark

Deck:

Companions: (9)
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark x 3
Eowyn, Restless Warrior x 3
Rohirrim Army
Radagast, The Brown x 2

Possessions: (14)
Snowmane, Noble Mearas
Windfola
Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark
Brego
Rider’s Mount
Horse of Rohan
Spear of the Mark x 4
Riddermark Javelin x 4

Artifacts:(2)
Radagast’s Staff
Seeing Stone of Orthanc

Conditions:(4)
We Left None Alive x 4

Events:(4)
Hamstrung x 4

Total: 35 cards.

4x Riding like the wind + Theoden + Radagast = move limit +6. Its already 2, so you can move on 8 times, in other words, play the perfect hand at site 1 and march non-stop to site 9.

~NBarden
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:35 am
For the elves, archery is the best. I’m just gonna give a decklist this time.

Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Legolas, Of The Grey Company
Arwen, Queen of Elves and Men

Elrond, Witness to History x 4
Aragorn, Driven By Need x 4

Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
Elven Bow x 2
Long-Knives of Legolas
Hadafang
Gwemegil
Ranger’s Sword, Blade of Aragorn
Sword of the Fallen

Feathered x 4
Valor x 4
Double Shot x 4
Nocked x 4
Arwen’s Fate x 2

Total: 35 cards

I’ll let other people post now.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
alatar
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 am
whoa, thanks guys. NBarden, that’s a lot of work giving decks for each culture Applause I appreciate that a lot!

All I really need is a couple of keywords for the classic decks that I could easily find in a deck search, such as what CarpeGuitarrem has done. What about dwarves, isengard, and uruks?

Keep em coming, thanks!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:02 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I will add other competitive deck/s for each culture to give you a choice
Gondor
Knights

Sauron
Troll Engine
Besiegers

Isengard
Isengard archery
Beatdown

Orc
Resistance exertions(not the best but cheaper then some others)

Shire
Beatdown with Sudden fury and Fates entwined
or Super Sam with Sam, Great Elf warrior

Elven
Elven Archery
Elevn Events
telepathy

Dwarven
Discard
Beatdown

Raider
Desert lord archery
Captain Crunch
Corsairs
Beasterlings

Uruk-hai
Beatdown
Hunters
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:10 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
There’s also Eowyn wounding, which doesn’t really fit into any one category.

Orc
Troll Swarm
Retribution

Gandalf
Grimbeorn beatdown
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:16 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Three hunters
if you look in the deck archive under dunland Hazael has a deck that is apparently pretty good.
Moria archery is another strategy as well as moria beatdown, but neither are the best
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 am
Dwarves? Twisted Evil Okay, the best deck for dwarves is discarding.

Dwarven Axe
Greatest Kingdom of My People is a maybe, but orcs are pretty popular, so it might be good.
Nobody Tosses a Dwarf.
What are we waiting for?
The new Thorin III, Stonehelm.

And pair this deck with a Sauron orc discarding deck.

Desperate Defense of the Ring
Thin and Stretched
Desperate Measures
The Irresistible Shadow
The Ring is Mine
Verily I come
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Isengard?

SITE CONTROL!

Down to the last child
Attack on Helm’s Deep
Siege Troop. (I know he’s an orc, but he’s awesome for taking control of sites)

Uruk-Hai Mob
Uruk-Hai Horde
Uruk-Hai Band
Sack of the Shire
Banner of Isengard
Suffered Much Loss with Uruk Assault Band, Advance Uruk Patrol and Uruk Vanguard

AND INCLUDE SOME BATTLEGROUNDS IN THE ADVENTURE DECK!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe eve Pillage of Rohan with Uruk Besieger

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion