LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
22%
  [ 2 ]  22%

55%
  [ 5 ]  55%

22%
  [ 2 ]  22%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:38 pm
--- description ---
This article constructs a Hobbit / Gollum + Nazgul deck in which both Free Peoples and Shadow halves contribute to the most fun type of victory: corruption.
--- end description ---

Out of all the ways to win, the funnest way for me is to corrupt my opponent. As such, I have always tried to have a good corruption deck around. The deck this article will explore is one my favorite types: Gollum/Nazgul corruption.

Free Peoples Strategy

To start things off, let’s get a good Free Peoples side ready. I use Gandalf & Hobbits, with a Smeagol splash (this will come in handy). Using Saved From the Fire, I can either A) burn one of my many Hobbits to grab several Sudden Fury, or B) burn Smeagol to grab 3 Shadow Gollum cards. Option B is the option I do first, so I can get a quick set up for my Shadow side. I usually grab Incited, Fat One Wants It, and Heavy Burden, but if I already have any of those in my hand I grab one of the other many Gollum conditions.

For the Hobbits to survive, we’ll utilize Sudden Fury, generating a massive amount of tokens. Let some of the Hobbits lose their skirmishes, adding a bunch of tokens, and then let one win his skirmish, healing possibly all your wounds with Fates Entwined. To make this work best, a large amount of Hobbits will be included, since some may be overwhelmed, and some you can burn with Saved From the Fire. These Hobbits will be Frodo PBM (good cycling), Pippin HOSI (to remove the burden added by Smeagol), Merry LC (lots of strength), Farmer Maggot HOTM (very strong), Sam GEW (extremely strong), and Bilbo AR (burden removal).

For events, Terrible and Evil will take down big minions, Deep in Thought can take out conditions, Roll of Thunder can discard pesky possessions, Traveled Leader can help with the Shadow side (allowing you to put Pelennor Flat or Courtyard Parapet back in you adventure deck), and then Servant of the Secret Fire and Hobbit Intuition will help win skirmishes.

One of my favorite companions to use in this deck is Dasron. Using the tokens from Sudden Fury, he can grab back key events to help against specific decks. For example, he can grab back Roll of Thunder to stop Corsairs, or he can pull Traveled Leader to prevent Swarm decks (using Caras Galadhon). Likewise, Terrible and Evil hurts Nazgul, Deep in Thought hurts almost every deck, and Servant of the Secret Fire can be used at all times.

Add in some possessions, and you’ll have a nice strong deck, that can face many different Shadows.

Shadow Strategy

Now we come to the Shadow side. The object, of course, is to add a ton of burdens. There are many ways to achieve this. My favorite way to do this is to play Courtyard Parapet, add a burden, and then use either Ulaire Nelya (Third of the Nine Riders) or Led Astray to put the site back in my deck, so I can use it again. The site you replace it with can be Pelennor Flat, which may add another burden.

There are also other ways to add burdens:

Gollum, Stinker - win his skirmish, add a burden

Fat One Wants It / Heavy Burden - Play Gollum to add a threat, discard him in regroup to add a burden

Ulaire Attea, Sixth of the Nine - Once there are several burdens, his ability will easily trigger

Not Yet Vanquished - Your Nazgul will win several fierce skirmishes, triggering this

Sense of Obligation - Ulaire Toldea (MoM) can use this card well, almost assuredly adding a burden

For events, Hobbitses are Dead is a nice way to boost either Gollum or the Nazgul, and if you have initiative it can be played twice. Led Astray, in addition to replacing sites, can add twilight, allowing you to play several Nazgul. Captured by the Ring and We Must Have It can play one of the three versions of Gollum, depending on which one will do the most damage at the time.

Incited is an awesome card too. Using it, you can grab back your Gollum conditions that get discarded, or you can take Hobbitses are Dead to help win some more skirmishes. If needed, it can even take back Captured by the Ring or We Must Have It so that you can play Gollum next turn. You can also retrieve Led Astray, for a later turn.

I use 3 versions of Gollum in this deck. Old Villian is mainly used at the early sites, before there are many burdens. Stinker comes out once the burdens are heavy, adding even more burdens. Skulker is used if you need to win a skirmish with one of your Nazgul, triggering Incited (Skulker is a lurker, so his skirmish comes afterwards).

Once you get to 5 burdens, you can drop down Ulaire Enquea (LoM). He is one of the best cards in this deck, since he can consistently kill off your opponent’s key companions.

Now, like most decks, this deck uses a bit of luck. A good setup can ensure victory, but if you get none of the right cards at the right times the deck can crumble. I think it’s fun though to have decks like these; it suits my personality. And with a few tweaks, you can change the deck to suit your own needs.

Enjoy!

Ring-bearer and Ring
Frodo, Protected by Many
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Adventure Deck
Courtyard Parapet
Buckland Homestead
Woody-end
Pelennor Flat
Hill of Sight
Caras Galadhon
Valley of the Silverlode
Trollshaw Forest
North Undeep

Free Peoples (36)
Gandalf, Leader of Men (starting)
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish (starting)
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence (starting)
Smeagol, Poor Creature (starting)
Merry, Loyal Companion
Sam, Great Elf Warrior
Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer
Dasron, Merchant from Dorwinion
Hobbit Sword x4
Sting, Weapon of Heritage
Sudden Fury x4
Saved From the Fire x3
Fates Entwined x3
Hobbit Intuition x3
Deep in Thought x2
Terrible and Evil x2
Roll of Thunder x2
Traveled Leader x2
Servant of the Secret Fire x2

Shadow (36)
Gollum, Old Villain
Gollum, Stinker
Gollum, Skulker
Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders x4
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul x3
Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul x3
Ulaire Attea, Second of the Nine Riders x2
Hobbitses are Dead x2
Captured by the Ring x3
We Must Have It x3
Led Astray x3
Sense of Obligation x2
Heavy Burden x2
Fat One Wants It x2
Not Yet Vanquished x2
Incited x2

Also, please note that the reason this deck is larger than most is that Courtyard Parapet will quickly cycle through it. I tried it with a smaller deck, and it doesn’t really work.

The deck might not seem like it works, but try it, and you may find (like me) that it has a very good chance of winning, and is fun besides.

Finally, please comment, and if you think something should be changed, wait to vote until I decide whether to implement the change.
Last edited by AnxiousChieftain on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:49 am; edited 1 time in totalMODS RULE. - lem0nhead
AdultLink
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:48 am
Quite nice, Anxious Chieftan! You have really put out some superb articles. This one was longer than your threats one which kind of made it harder to stay with, but I felt like your points were good and exact. Job well done [golf claps] Very Happy Wink
Haves/Wants
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:03 am
Thanks for the comments, Cobra and Adult Link. This one was a bit longer than the threats article, but I thought it needed the extra strategy, since it's a more complex deck than most. Smile
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
AdultLink
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:29 pm
Agreeably Anxious. You throroughly outlined all of the points of the deck, and gave good reasons for your card choices. That would have to make it long. But I didn't think that was necessarily good or bad.
Haves/Wants
ingold55
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:27 am
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
i liked it Anxious Cheiftain! it's very nice.
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:37 pm
It was good Chieftan, but I think it has too many companions. I can be kind-of paranoid about things like that though. That's probably not one of your concerns though.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:19 pm
Lord of the Shire wrote:
It was good Chieftan, but I think it has too many companions. I can be kind-of paranoid about things like that though. That's probably not one of your concerns though.

The way I play the companions, I almost never have 6 out. I usually end up burning two of them with Saved From the Fire, and then each time a companion dies I play a new one.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:51 pm
Clever. Very clever. I like your style.
AdultLink
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:41 pm
Congrats on tying for first place Anxious! you wrote one heck of an article, and it's an honor to share first with you.
Haves/Wants
ingold55
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:08 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
Congradulations Anxious Cheiftain! Very Happy

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest