LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
macheteman
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:56 pm
3 •Bard, Savior of the Long Lake Gandalf
Companion - Man
Strength: 7
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
While you can spot more companions than minions, the fellowship archery total is +X, where X is the number of companions minus the number of minions.
"Their captain was bard, grim-voiced and grim-faced..."

This card is the opposite of brand. It tries to reflect how bard led the attack on Smaug. he helps against those shadows that play a few powerful minions at each site. he is splashable, and here are some ideas i had for using him in decks:
bard/brand gandalf men
a gandalf men with brand and gildor inglorian splashed in
bard/brand/girrion(featured later) deck

2 •The Black Arrow Gandalf
Possession - Ranged Weapon
Vitality: +1
Bearer must be Bard, Brand, or Girion.
Bearer is damage+1.
Skirmish: If bearer is Bard, discard this possession to wound a minion he is skirmishing.
"’Arrow!’ said the bowman. ’Black arrow! I have saved you to the last.’"

i gave this card a vitality bonus for two resons, first there are like no vitality + cards for Gandalf companions that play on characters besides gandalf. second the black arrow saved tons of people from dying. (thereby giving them LIFE!!) i am thinking about making it an artifact.

2 •Old Thrush, Dragon’s Bane Gandalf
Follower
Strength: +1
Aid-add two burdens
each time you transfer this to a companion, except Bard, exert bearer and add a burden.
Shadow events and shadow skirmish abilities may not be used during skirmishes involving bearer.
"’The thrushes are good and friendly-this is a very old bird indeed...they were a long-lived and magical race...’"

the thrush was a character that really helped in the defense of the long lake, but did not do any direct fighting, so i thought it was fitting for it to be a follower. one of the best defenses in LOTR TCG is not being able to play skirmish events or use skirmish special abilities.

2 •Girion, Sire to Bard Gandalf
Companion - Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 6
Muster.
While you can spot Girion, Bard and Brand are strength +2.
While you can spot bard, Girion is strength +1.
While you can spot Brand, Girion is strength +1
"’Girion was lord of Dale...’"

Girion, is not as splashable as other Gandalf companions, because he is not really mentioned much in the book, and when he is, it is usually in relation to bard. so he is very much tied to bard and brand. when this companion is started with brand, he would become strength +2, and brand would become strength+2 (because of both of their gametexts). Girion has more vitality than bard and brand, but lacks the strength of his decendent bard.

3 •Bard’s Bow Gandalf
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Strength: +2
Bearer must be Bard. He is an archer.
Maneuver: Discard this possession to remove all threats.
Response: Each time a Gandalf event is played you may add a threat to remove 1.

bearing this bow would make bard unable to bear the black arrow, but since you would have to choose one or the other, it halps to fine tune the deck’s strategy. this ranged weapon increaces bards strength, to help him win more skirmishes, and makes him an archer. but he would lose the vitality and damage +1 of the black arrow.

2 •Bard is not Lost! Gandalf
Condition
bearer must be Bard. he is defender +1.
Response:If Bard is about to take a wound that would kill him. discard this condition to prevent that wound.
"...A tall figure stepped from the shadows. he was drenched with water, his black hair hung wet over his face and shoulders, a fierce light was in his eyes. ’Bard is not lost he cried’"

this condition gets its roots in the hobbit, when everyone thinks bard is dead, but is not. another idea i have for this card is when you discard it to prevent a wound that would kill him, also prevent all wounds on him untill the regroup phase.

a fellowship i have in mind for these cards looks something like this:

starting:
gandalf, bearer of obligation
brand, king of dale
Girion, sire to bard

other companions:
bard, savior of the long lake
(and some other companion, a few i like are: gildor inglorian, of the house of finrod, radagast, the brown, grimbeorn, beorning chieftan)

each one of these other companions would alter the strategy of the deck.
gildor would make it more of an archery deck, radagast a run deck, and grimbeorn would make it much easier to fight.

9 •Smaug, Lair to the Lonely Mountain [Dragon]
Minion - Dragon
Strength: 13
Vitality: 5
Site Number: 2
Fire-Breather(at the start of the maneuver phase the free-peoples player must assign X wounds to companions where X is the number of Fire-Breathers you spot.)
While you can spot Smaug, the twilight cost of each fire card is -1.
Maneuver: exert Smaug twice to take a fire event, condition, or possession into hand from your discard pile.
"Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail...lay countless piles of precious things..."

2 Back swirled the Dragon [Dragon]
Event
Response: If a skirmish involving a Dragon is about to end, make that Dragon fierce until the regroup phase.
"Fire leaped from thatched roofs and wooden beam-ends as he hurtled down and past and round again..."

3 Fires of Smaug [Dragon]
Condition
Fire. To play spot a dragon. Plays to your support area.
Archery: exert a dragon to transfer this condition from your support area to a companion(limit 1 per bearer). each time bearer exerts because of a free-peoples card, you may exert a companion.

0 Withered Heath [Site]
Dragons cannot take wounds (except during skirmishes).

4 Were Worm, of the Last Desert [Dragon]
Minion - Dragon
This minion is Strength +1 for each fire card born by the caracter he is skirmishing, and each fire event played during the skirmish.

8 •Ancalagon, the Black [Dragon]
Minion - Dragon
Strength: 17
Fire-Breather. When you play this minion you may exert Ancalagon (limit 1) to discard a ring (except the one ring) from a companion.
"’It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the rings of power...’"

3 Thatched Roofs Ablaze [Dragon]
Event - Skirmish
Fire. Discard a Free-peoples condition, or wound an Ally.
"Fire leaped from thatched roofs and wooden beam-ends..."

2 Last Throes [Dragon]
Event
Response: if a dragon dies, make the free-peoples player exert 2 companions. If he caonnot exert 2 companions, wound 1 instead.
"Full on the town he fell. His last throes splintered it to sparks and gledes."

-macheteman
Last edited by macheteman on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 9 times in total
TheHobbit13
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:01 pm
Quote:
The Black Arrow

It’s not Really a Ranged Weapon.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:01 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
um your brands ability is almost an exact copy of the other brand.
IDK about vitality bonus for an arrow...the old thrush is worthless. He needs ot have an upside. like reveal an opponents hand when you transfer him.

otherwise looks good
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
macheteman
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 pm
SoP: this is "Bard", not Brand. Bard is supposed to be the compliment of Brand. what do you think about adding a resistance bonus with the thrush?
Last edited by macheteman on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheHobbit13
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:12 pm
Quote:
10] *Smaug, Lair To The Lonely Mountain [Dragon]
Minion - Dragon
Maneuver: exert Smaug twice to take a fire event, condition, or possession into hand from your discard pile.
"Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail...lay countless piles of precious things..."

Nice work Gp Check out some of my archer cards
menace64
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:14 pm
macheteman wrote:
3 *Bard, Savior of the Long Lake Gandalf
Companion - Man
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
Each of your dwarves and other Gandalf Men is resistance +1
While you can spot more companions than minions, the fellowship archery total is +X, where X is the number of companions minus the number of minions.
"Their captain was bard, grim-voiced and grim-faced..."

I like how this is similar to Brand (albeit a little too similar).
I wouldn’t call him a savior. Why not just say "Grim Captain"?
I’d say get rid of one of the abilities. I like how the second represents Bard leading the attack against Smaug, so I’d prefer you keep that one.

macheteman wrote:
2 *The Black Arrow Gandalf
Vitality: +1
Bearer must be Bard, Brand, or Girion.
Bearer is damage+1.
Skirmish: If bearer is Bard, you may discard this possession tp wound a minion he is skirmishing.
"’Arrow!’ said the bowman. ’Black arrow! I have saved you to the last.’"

"If bearer is Bard, discard this possesion to..." (never put "may" in the cost of an ability).
Otherwise it’s fine.

macheteman wrote:
2 Old Thrush, Dragon’s Bane Gandalf
Follower
Strength: +1
Aid-add a burden
each time you transfer this to a companion, except Bard, exert bearer and add a burden.
Shadow events may not be played during skirmishes involving bearer.
"’The thrushes are good and friendly-this is a very old bird indeed...they were a long-lived and magical race...’"

Unique?
I’d think that added cost for anyone but Bard is too much for the ability it grants.

macheteman wrote:
[10] *Smaug, Lair To The Lonely Mountain [Dragon]
Minion - Dragon

Junky subtitle. How is Smaug a lair to the mountain?
Smaug should be roaming until at least 6, considering he lives as the end of the Hobbit "site path."
Fire cards, eh? Look forward to seeing those. I can’t see there being any fire possessions, though.

macheteman wrote:
2 Back swirled the Dragon [Dragon]
Event
Response: If a skirmish involving a Dragon is about to end, make that Dragon fierce until the regroup phase.
"Fire leaped from thatched roofs and wooden beam-ends as he hurtled down and past and round again..."

Fine.

macheteman wrote:
3 Fires of Smaug [Dragon]
Condition
Fire-BreatherTo play exert a dragon. Plays to your support area.
Archery: exert Smaug twice to transfer this condition from your support area to a companion(limit 1 per bearer). each time bearer exerts because of a free-peoples card, you may exert a companion.

I thought they were Fire cards.
So this card costs 3 and 3 exertions (2 on Smaug himself), only to cause 1 occasional exertion? No good! Make it spot a Dragon to play, then just exert a Dragon once during the archery phase to make the transfer.

macheteman wrote:
2 *The Master, Selfish Leader [Dragon]
Minion - Man
Strength: 3
Vitality: 2
Dragons do not take archery wounds.
Assignment: exert The Master to assign him to a skirmish.

Is this supposed to be the leader of the Lake-men? Why the blazes is he in the Dragon culture? Smaug would have killed him just as quickly as any of the others. Just because he jumped ship and ran off doesn’t make him any less of a Man, and as such he should be in the Gandalf culture. Consider giving him a penalty for playing, though (like Denethor).

macheteman wrote:
0 Withered Heath [Site]
Dragons do not take wounds (except during shirmishes).

"Dragons may not take wounds..."

Nice first batch of cards. Welcome to the forums.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
TheHobbit13
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:16 pm
Oh yes forgot I Welcome
macheteman
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:23 pm
thanks.
i meant to put "fire" on that condition, but messed up when i was working out my ideas into actual cards. i agree with you about The Master. but i’ll see what others say.

oh, and do you have any other ideas for the black arrow, if it isn’t a ranged weapon?
TheHobbit13
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:26 pm
Make some more cards Please
macheteman
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:27 pm
it takes me time to think of ideas. sorry.
maybe soon...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards