LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
MuslimKnight
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 pm
As-Salamu Alaykum (May Peace Be Upon You All)

I started my first day with LOTR TCG by buying a "HUNTERS ARAGORN STARTER DECK", and I ended up with forming the following deck. Somehow a forced deck, as those were almost all the cards in the deal. I won couple of times, but been savaged many times. I am not complaining, wait till I get the hang of the mechanisms and if this game is going to continue, I promise that one day I shall show you what will come of that old newbie you once knew.

=============
Initial Deck:
=============

Sites:
======
1x City Gates (site)
1x Gate of Mordor (site)
1x Mount Doom (site)
1x Westfold Village (site)
1x Shores of Nen Hithoel (site)
1x StarkHorn (site)
1x Anduin Banks (site)
1x Helm’s Gate (site)
1x Trollshaw Forest (site)

Ring/Bearer:
------------
Frodo Weary From The Journey
The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Starting Fellowship:
--------------------
Legolas Fleet-Footed Hunter
Gimli, Eager Hunter

Freeps: (30)
=======
1x Legolas Fleet-Footed Hunter
1x Gimli, Eager Hunter
2x Whatever End
3x Elven Warrior
4x Focus
2x Haldir, Sentry of The Golden Wood
2x Point Blank Range
1x Spied From Afar
3x Sword of The Fallen
2x Aragorn, Swift Hunter
1x Aragorn, Thorongil
3x No Quicker Path
2x Hobbit Sword
1x Aragorn Captain of Gondor (Prom)

Shadow: (30)
=======
4x Battlefield Recruit
4x Battlefield Veteran
2x Black Gate Sentry
4x Black Land Spy
2x Desolation Orc
3x Orkish Camp
3x Orkish Hunting Spear
4x Scouting Orc
4x Veteran War Chief

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now After I made some shopping, I got the cards hereunder. Quite a punch, but I need to know if I can make a decent deck out of this pile.
Can I tweak the initial hunters starter deck to reach to a possible good end, or do I have to start from ground zero and construct the deck from the beginning.
Please advise in details. I don’t just want you to help me make a deck, I want somebody teach me how to think into a new powerful deck from whatever I have. All ideas are very much welcomed.

Anybody??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prom:
=====
2x Aragorn, Heir of The Throne of Gondor
1x Gandalf, Returned
2x Gimli, Sprinter
2x Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection
1x Legolas of The Grey Company
------------------------------------------------------------
* Anybody has the link to an updated x-list page or something?
* I know P,C,U,R and S rarities, But what’s the (O,W,D,R+,Foil,No Foil) rarity mean? More important, how I can compare this in a trade. For instance, if I want an R card, how many C or U cards can be swaped for it....and so on.
* Aragorn, Captain of Gondor: has no resistance number, does that only means that he can’t be a ring bearer? some cards has an effect related to resistance number. Like NeekerBreekers site which heals whoever has resistance over 5, how he’ll know the resistance of this card, or sinmply it has none, so it won’t be healed? And is there a way to know which companion can be a ring bearer, just from the card I mean.
------------------------------------------------------------

Shadow Block: (43)
=============
1x Farin, Emissary of Erebor
1x On Guard
1x Arwen, Staunch Defender
1x G for Grand
4x Gandalf, Leader of The Company
1x Gondorian Blade
1x Elevated Fire
1x Long Battle Bow
1x Conquered Halls
1x Denizen of Khazad-Dum
1x Denizen of Moria
1x Denizen of The Black Pit
3x Madril, Ranger of Ithilien
2x Ranger of Westernesse
1x Column of Easterlings
1x Frenzied Orc
1x Mountain Orc
1x Skulking Goblin
1x Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of The Marish
2x Hobbit Sword
1x Merry, Loyal Companion
1x Ulaire Lemenya, Fifth of The Nine Riders
2x Ulaire Nelya, Third of The Nine Riders
2x Ulaire Nertea, Ninth of The Nine Riders
1x Determined Uruk
1x Fortitude
1x Watchman Uruk
1x Dark Wings
2x Riders in Black
1x Ulaire Cantea, Fourth of The Nine Riders

Black Rider: (14)
============
1x Dwarven Warrior
1x Orophin, Brother of Haldir
1x Betrayal of Isengard
1x Salve
1x Bloodstained Field
1x Orc Skulker
1x Storming The Ramparts
1x Vile Goblin
1x Breeding Pit Conscript
1x Broken Heirloom
1x Uruk Zealot
1x Slopes of Orodroin (site)

Bloodline Block: (10)
================
1x Awkward Moment
1x Final Shot
1x Dasron, Merchant From Dorwinion
1x Duality
1x Naked Waste
1x Pirate Cutthroat
1x Worn Battleaxe
1x Expendable Servants
1x Daddy Twofoot, Next-Door Neighbor
1x Everything But My Bones

Middle Earth Block: (10)
===================
2x Swarming Hillman
2x Dain Ironfoot, King Under The Mountain
2x Brand, King of Dale
2x Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftain
2x Furious Hillman

Hunters Block: (33)
==============
2x Chamber of Records
1x The Fortunes of Balin’s Folk
1x Heavy Axe
1x Dinendal, Mirkwood Archer
1x Legolas Fleet-Footed Hunter
2x Aragorn, Swift Hunter
1x Shadow of The Wood
1x Treebeard, Enraged Shepherd
1x Damrod, Dunadan of Gondor
2x Dunedain of The South
2x Unyielding Ranger
2x Bold Easterling
1x Courageous Easterling
1x Easterling Scout
2x Enraged Herdsman
1x Great Axe
2x Hunting Herdsman
2x Ravaging Wild Man
1x Moria Menace
1x Scouting Orc
1x Following Uruk
2x Seeking Uruk
1x Uruk Village Assassin
1x Violent Hurl
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 pm
Shocked You pulled Aragorn, Thorongil from your Starter Deck?!?!?! Shocked

Starter decks come with three random rare cards. Aragorn, Thorongil is the rarest rare out there.

Okay, first thing is to post that on the trading forum and watch people you offer 10-20 cards for it Wink Just kidding.

Seriously, if you got Aragorn, Thorongil, pull the copies of Swift Hunter. You only need one hunter Aragorn in the deck. Also pull Aragorn, Captain of Gondor.

Now, get a hold of Legolas, of the Woodland Realm. Start him with Gimli.

Get a hold of Gimli’s Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon. And the Long-Knives of Legolas. And any Anduril or Ranger’s Sword. I’m a fan of Ranger’s Sword, Blade of Aragorn. Aragorn’s Bow is always nice.

Then, get a hold of Forth the Three Hunters. 3-4 copies should go in your deck. This is a must for any hunters deck.

From here, there are tons of ways to go. I personally favor using Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms as the ring-bearer. Note the gold ring around his resistance, this means he can be the ring-bearer. Any copy of any card that does not say ring-bearer or does not have a gold ring around his resistance cannot be the ring-bearer. They may have resistance, but they cannot be the ring-bearer.

Then, with my strategy, go with Soldier’s Cache from the Rise of Saruman, and add Sixth Level. This makes minions roaming. Add Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver, he kills minions. Then add four copies of Home and Hearth.

I recommend this decklist.

http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3461

Pull all unnecessary cards. You could always trade them off.

You have a good start, the Aragorn starter deck is the best starter deck. And pulling Aragorn, Thorongil is even better.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:11 pm
Oh, and resistance. Each companion has resistance. If the resistance is not marked, it is by default 6. There are cards that use resistance, such as Wielding the Ring, Our Foes Are Weak, Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin, Uruk Zealot, Farewell to Lorien, Isildur, Heir of Elendil, Neekerbreeker’s Bog, etc.

Each companion’s resistance is -1 for each burden on your ring-bearer. If a companion’s ring-bearer reaches zero, nothing happens unless there is something to take advantage of this (Isildur, Heir of Elendil, Uruk Zealot).

If the ring-bearer’s resistance equals zero, then he (or she, in the case of Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom), is corrupted.

A companion can only be the ring-bearer if the card says "ring-bearer" or there is a gold circle around their resistance.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:12 pm
Unless I read wrong, you have RoS cards. How?

A card with no resistance printed has 6 resistance to start.

You can tell if a card is the ring-bearer if it has a gold ring around its resistance. Frodos usually have Ring-Bearer on them, meaning they can ONLY be the ring-bearer. Other ARB’s (Alternate Ring-Bearers) can be used as normal companions.

AS for the deck, NBarden already gave some pretty good advice.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 pm
I guess...no...do you have these cards?

2x Aragorn, Heir of The Throne of Gondor
1x Gandalf, Returned
2x Gimli, Sprinter
2x Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection

EDIT: Found this link. http://lotronline.decipher.com/notes/HuntersCardDesign4.shtml

I guess they’re from the hunter’s draft pack?

2 •Gimli, Sprinter Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality ???
Resistance 6
Hunter 1. Damage +1.
Each time Gimli wins a skirmish, you may add a threat to wound a minion (or to wound a non-hunter minion twice).

4 •Aragorn, Heir to the Throne of Gondor Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength 8
Vitality 4
Resistance 6
Hunter 2.
While you can spot 3 Free Peoples cultures, Aragorn is defender +1.
While you can spot 2 Shadow cultures, Aragorn is defender +1

Shocked
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:25 pm
MuslimKnight wrote:
* Anybody has the link to an updated x-list page or something?

Right here:

http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=778

I’m fairly sure it’s up to date.

MuslimKnight wrote:
* I know P,C,U,R and S rarities, But what’s the (O,W,D,R+,Foil,No Foil) rarity mean? More important, how I can compare this in a trade. For instance, if I want an R card, how many C or U cards can be swaped for it....and so on.

O = Legends Masterworks foil. These cards are very valuable AI foils of normal cards. Example: Dark Approach (Masterworks FOIL)
W = Online-only league card. These cards were used in some form on league in the LOTR Online game, and are only legal in certain formats (not sure which ones). Example: Army of Harad
D = I’m not really sure. Embarassed
R+ = Half of the 52 cards in the set Reflections are R+, while the other half is simply R. Each Reflections pack comes with either 2 Rs or an R & an R+; the odds of getting an R+ in a Reflections pack is approximately 1 out of 2.4 packs. Example: Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom.
Non-foil = A normal card.
Foil = A shiny version of a normal card. Very Happy

As for how they relate in trades, it’s difficult to say. One thing to keep in mind along with rarity is how much the card is in demand; for example, Aragorn, Thorongil is a R but is probably the best R in the game, while a rare like Last Surprise is nearly worthless and will be hard to get rid of.

By the way, do you play online, or do you play offline?

Hope this helps.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:17 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
trading is very complicated as there are dozens of things that can factor in, card condition rarity, how much both of you want the card, whether you will be using the card, whether they are using the card etc.
example, lets say I have 4x Forth the three hunters but no hunter deck while you have 0 and a hunter deck, you need them, I don’t. thus I wouldn’t ask for as much if say, I was using them.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
MuslimKnight
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:31 pm
God, I love this forum.
Thanks guys for the great advices.
Just to make things more clear, I just going to be very inquisitive Twisted Evil , so consider yourself warned :

AnxiousChieftain: I play online, I am from Egypt and I don’t know anyone here play this game, so online playing is my only hope to play this worderful game.

I am not sure about the Rise of Saruman, but yes I bought Hunters Draft Pack as NBraden said.
This also suggests that I won’t be able to take his advice about adding Rise of Saruman cards, I heard there is a problem with Sony and there is no online version of it yet. Hope they won’t decide to shoot the game in the head.

1. I know I have to set a strategy first; From the games I played I noticed that if my initial deck is good at anything it would be "running". They seem to be good sprinters, so doesn’t matter how strong the deck I played against was, I was able to run at least to site 8 with fairly good strength. The only decks that made me feel bad is the ones who were designed to hinder the multiple moves or take advantage of it. The few games I managed to win was because I concentrated on this.
Although I don’t like this as it spoils some of the excitement of the game, but seems that the longer I stay in the game the more probable I can loose. I know part of this is because the deck needs a lot of improvement and you guys are really helping a lot.

I know about 3 main strategies to win:
- Reach the final line first (The one I used, but not loved)
- Corrupt the ring bearer (A mean way, but an effective one)
- Kill the ring bearer (My favourite, and I think the very exciting way of playing)

Now NBarden: Would you please advise where the changes you suggested fall in more in these strategies, and how?
As I mentioned in thread main, I need to learn how to think into a new deck not just know its cards, why I am using this card and why not that, and how I can maximize its effect. I hope you be patient with me, I know it may be too much, but I know someone out there can help me.

2. Almost all advices are for Freeps, what about Shadow side?

3. Now for getting hold of the cards you advised, do I go to the trade lobby and just announce that I need to trade one of these cards and look for someone who is willing to trade it?
SickOfPalantir: Thanks for the trading tip.
Ok, I’ll give myself a homework: "Forth The Three Hunters". What in my cards can be fair to trade this card with. At which limit I can say, no this is too much to give for this card? (Away from if the other guy needs it or not, he may not be as fair as SickOfalantir is Twisted Evil ). I just don’t want to be trapped in an unfair deal.
I shall make this my first excercise to try to get this card, so please advice. Next time I shall let you know what I’ve done.

4. Last but not least, I would be honored to play against any of you in the Casual Games Lobby,that would be great learning method for me. Please let me know what’s your favorite time to be there (GMT would be appreciated).

Thanks to all and can’t wait to read your next help post for me here.
MuslimKnight
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:36 pm
Wow, nothing still. Rolling Eyes seems I managed to drive everybody away.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I managed to do my homework and get "Forht The Three Hunters", THREE COPIES OF IT. Mr. Green

Not just that, but I managed to get a punch of cards also Dancing:
4x Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom
2x Axe of Khazad-Dum
2x Farewell To Lorien
6x G for Grand
2x Gandald Leader of The Company
1x New-Awakened
4x Gondorian Blade
3x Champion Orc
4x Mordor Scimitar
1x Mountain Orc
1x Frodo, Protected By Many
1x Frenzied Orc
1x Denizen Of The Black Pit
1x Sam, Steadfast Friend
2x Dwarven Bracers
4x Goblin Agressor
4x Mordor Aggressor
4x Orc Spear
4x Scavaging Gooblins
1x Vile Goblin
4x Measure of Comfort
3x Elven Bow
2x Black Gate Sentry
4x Scouting Orc
1x Moria Menace
2x Veteran War Chief
1x Pippin, The Short One

A great deal, but actually it was not my cleverness, it was the generousity of a veteran player in the trade lobby that read some of my postings.
Anyway I got new collection and trying to tweak my deck with them, and waiting for more help. I’d appreciate it if someone answers my questions in the previous post to make it a starting point.

Thanks in advance.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Sorry I haven’t been on that much the last day or so.

Quote:
1. I know I have to set a strategy first; From the games I played I noticed that if my initial deck is good at anything it would be "running". They seem to be good sprinters, so doesn’t matter how strong the deck I played against was, I was able to run at least to site 8 with fairly good strength. The only decks that made me feel bad is the ones who were designed to hinder the multiple moves or take advantage of it. The few games I managed to win was because I concentrated on this.
Although I don’t like this as it spoils some of the excitement of the game, but seems that the longer I stay in the game the more probable I can loose. I know part of this is because the deck needs a lot of improvement and you guys are really helping a lot.

I know about 3 main strategies to win:
- Reach the final line first (The one I used, but not loved)
- Corrupt the ring bearer (A mean way, but an effective one)
- Kill the ring bearer (My favourite, and I think the very exciting way of playing)

Now NBarden: Would you please advise where the changes you suggested fall in more in these strategies, and how?
As I mentioned in thread main, I need to learn how to think into a new deck not just know its cards, why I am using this card and why not that, and how I can maximize its effect. I hope you be patient with me, I know it may be too much, but I know someone out there can help me.

Okay, a three hunters deck is good for a double move. Or even a triple, if you have Radagast, the Brown. This is an effective strategy, and I would recommend using it.

Quote:
2. Almost all advices are for Freeps, what about Shadow side?

The shadow side is Orc, the side with my least experience. There are a few deck types I’m familiar with in this strategy.

Swarm- Kill the Ring-Bearer by throwing to many minions for him to handle.
Retribution- Corrupt the Ring-Bearer by burdens.
The Beckoning Shadow- Discard all of your opponent’s cards and corrupt the ring-bearer.
Wounding- Your deck. Wounding is a good strategy to use, but it needs a lot more work. I’ll let someone better with this culture cover this...although some of the Southrons might be a good splash.

Quote:
3. Now for getting hold of the cards you advised, do I go to the trade lobby and just announce that I need to trade one of these cards and look for someone who is willing to trade it?
SickOfPalantir: Thanks for the trading tip.
Ok, I’ll give myself a homework: "Forth The Three Hunters". What in my cards can be fair to trade this card with. At which limit I can say, no this is too much to give for this card? (Away from if the other guy needs it or not, he may not be as fair as SickOfalantir is Twisted Evil ). I just don’t want to be trapped in an unfair deal.
I shall make this my first excercise to try to get this card, so please advice. Next time I shall let you know what I’ve done.

Good job getting forth the three hunters. If you can get a hold of a fourth, that’d be better. Radagast, the Brown and Radagast’s Staff would be nice, but don’t go out of your way, kinda...tough to get a hold of. If it shows up, go ahead, but don’t trade to much for it. Glamdring, Foe-Hammer is a good card to get, as well as Watch and Wait. This will stop most corruption strategies dead in their tracks.

Quote:
4. Last but not least, I would be honored to play against any of you in the Casual Games Lobby,that would be great learning method for me. Please let me know what’s your favorite time to be there (GMT would be appreciated).

Um...well...I play in real life with the actual cards, not with the Online version. So sorry about that... Its just not feasible for me to pay for the online game when I already have a large player community here (and a little brother).

Okay, I see you got Gandalf, Leader of the Company. Work that into your deck if at all possible. Both copies. He’s awesome. Get a hold of Glamdring, Foe-Hammer as well. Radagast, the Brown, is awesome for running, which the Three Hunters are good at. You can develop your shadow to kill, but a FP that is good at running may force your opponent to double move even if he doesn’t want to, just to stay in the game. Which makes it easier for your shadow to kill him. So although you may not like winning by a run, it actually helps your shadow kill, and if you win with a run, hey, at least its still a win!

Now on strategy, you should have figured out that Legolas and Aragorn do most of the fighting. Aragorn fights first, no Quicker Path pumps Legolas up, and Forth the Three hunters lowers minions’ strength drastically with an exertion on Aragorn. Legolas wins his skirmish easily, healing Aragorn 4 times with Focus. That’s the best way to work it, although Gimli is a base strength 9 against non-hunters, which could make him easy to use.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion