LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Faramir, Bearer of Quality?

5 (best)  
25%
  [ 3 ]  25%

41%
  [ 5 ]  41%

25%
  [ 3 ]  25%

8%
  [ 1 ]  8%

1 (worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 12
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:20 pm

Good to finally see a Ring-bearer Faramir, but I’m not sure whether he’ll get much play. Isildur and Boromir are generally better choices for Gondor decks. Even in the ranger deck for which Faramir, Bearer of Quality is obviously intended, he doesn’t really shine -- he’s not himself a ranger, he can’t wield his new bow, and his ability can’t be used very often without real danger. I’m no expert on current ranger deck builds, but it seems like Faramir is better used as part of the starting fellowship.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:28 pm
If he was a ranger, or if he could make minions roaming during maneuver, I would like him much, much more.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
menace64
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:50 pm
I bet the only reason they didn’t make him a ranger was because there’s no room on his card for the word.

I’d love to see a condition that makes him a ranger, though. That’d help.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:42 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
It would help...although he’s a nice card as he is. I think there’s a reason for him not being a ranger, though. If he’s the RB, he can’t really command his men any more, because he’s struggling with the burden of the Ring. Instead, they have to take over his duties (thus, Faramir’s Bow can be given to another ranger, and used to protect him).

His threat-adding will be helpful...now you don’t need to pack Aragorn and his Bow to add threats for Madril, Defender of Osgiliath...although ’Gorn’s ability is still nice.

I also sense a combo with Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Storm_Crow
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:12 am
It’s interesting that he largely negates the need for Madril (site number +), Ancient Roads, and Support of the City. Instead, you run healing, which isn’t hard at all for Gondor. Additionally, his threats can be made useful with someone like Aragorn, Driven by Need. That would be a neat 2-3 companion deck - a choke engine like none other. Add Dethor (possesion discarder) and various Athelas and Kingsfoil and you’ve got a deck. Not rangers, no, but close. Additionally, Hearts Raised can keep the threats off nicely.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:40 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
but you still need maneuver roaming for IB and What are They?
I don’t think he is as good as he deserves he should have more resistance he resisted the pull of the ring. But he is cool. The one thing I don’t like is that he has know benefits if he is not the ring-bearer. most of them either have higher resistance (or are able to get higher resistance) or a cool ability that helps whether they are the ring-bearer or not. (The only other exception being Gandalf but he has so many ups it is balanced out). Now I am not saying this isn’t a good faramir. The sheer amount of combos he has says it all, but they could’ve maybe made it so that the second ability could be used ring-bearer or not.
Last edited by sickofpalantirs on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:18 am; edited 1 time in totalArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:47 am
Possibilities are endless!

Ranger of Minas Tirith
Faramir’s Bow, the old one
Stand to Arms
Arrows Thick in the Air
Curse Them (can’t cancel his, but a wound and an exert to cancel any other skirmish? I’d take it!)
Faramir’s Cloak
Mablung, Soldier of Gondor of Mablung, Ranger of Ithilien
Ranger’s Bow
Concealment
Silent Traveler
Unyielding Ranger

There are tons of cards that key off of roaming minions in the skirmish phase. Ring-Bound Rangers have definitely got a new RB. Why stick with Ithilien Blade when you can deck ’em hard in the skirmish phase. And Faramir gives them a default roaming, no complex threat or fortification systems! And he can heal with invigorated (better yet, he and another guy can heal!)
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:35 pm
I like the idea of a deck with just Faramir and Aragorn, Driven by Need. Include cards like the old Faramir’s Bow, Stand to Arms, PATHS, and a bunch of healing, and you could have a neat deck. Faramir could exert to wound with his Bow, and he could have a bunch of vitality (3 + 2 (ATAR) + 1 (Saga) + 1 (Narsil) + 1 (Ranger’s Cloak)); heck, if Gondor had burden removal, you could make a Solo-Faramir deck!
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Cobra
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:57 pm
Why Aragorn, Driven by Need? His strength would range from 7-9, not really any better than the average 8-strength Aragorn...
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:59 pm
Actually, 7-10. And probably because he can pull off the threats Faramir adds, with two companions, the ring-bearer is probably fighting.

Start Faramir’s Skirmish first, Aragorn gest a strength +2 bonus, regroup, exert Aragorn twice to remove three threats, heal him with your healing cards.

A must for this deck is Houses of Healing + Ring of Barahir + guarded city.

With ring of Barahir, aragorn spots House of healing to heal himself, removes a token from HoH, and reinforces as neccessary with Guarded City.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion